Do academics have a life?

O

Today is Sunday. Universities across the country are closed (except some libraries).

Still my PhD student Outlook inbox received 16 (!) work-related emails today from lecturers, senior lecturers and even a dean. I think this leads to a gradual demise of the weekend as a period of relaxation and I completely reject the idea of replying on a sunday to any emails or to accommodate other people's weird expectations concerning the promt reply to an email.

I have to say, the longer I'm in this game the more I hate it. PhD completion and then hasta la vista.

B

I hear what you are saying Otto. It's also even weirder when you send an email to someone (maybe at a silly hour/weekend), and a reply is sent straight away. I really do think some academics are permanantly attached to their computers (... very sad indeedy!).

By the way, are you far off finishing writing up/submitting?

I

You're popular!

Anyway, here we are, academics at our computers, working on a Sunday night (with the odd browse to break the intensity, of course)...

Are you planning to stay up til after 4 again tonight Otto?

J

great to know am not the only one who's up. i might as well check to see if i're received any email. hopefully i should be done in an hour. wish i didn have to stay up, but if i sleep i know that i won't remember what i was gonna say next and the horror of reading thro my paper.... k, i'll stop there. looking forward to next weekend already - am off Friday to Monday, guess that's what motivating me to get it done.

J

goodnight people, enough for today.

A

I always find it amusing that when you receive an email from the supervisor, they expect a prompt reply. Often within 24hrs. However, when you email them, any reply within less than a week in unreasonable!