Do examiners already know if they will pass or fail you before the viva?

L

I've had people tell me to read all of my references before the viva, I didn't have the time to, I have read them all throughout my PhD at some point, all except one, I'm thinking I might get asked about this. I had written something like "B[1] did blah blah blah as discussed in C[2]" it will be obvious I hadn't read this paper but I just couldnt find it anywhere, it doesnt seem to be in print at all, it is quite an old paper, from the 60s. Today I'm concentrating solely on the thesis and writing up a document with all the typos/cut and paste errors in my thesis, I feel I know my thesis but the references is in the back of my mind (down)

B

======= Date Modified 11 Apr 2010 19:02:17 =======
I wouldn't worry about that possible question. If it happens, deal with it there and then. Give an honest answer, and say it's the only reference of its kind.

I personally think it's bonkers advice to reread every reference. It's adding a lot of work for IMHO very little gain. Also overloading your brain with info like that could backfire, if you start to forget details of what you should know i.e. your thesis. Your viva should focus on your thesis, your contribution, not on your far-too-detailed knowledge of other papers and books.

Yes I'm in the humanities, but my husband completed his PhD in the sciences, and he prepared the same way as me, and agrees.

L

Quote From BilboBaggins:

I personally think it's bonkers advice to reread every reference.

Haha, I agree, I'll just bring them in with me and refer to them if I need to. Thanks for your help BB. I better get back to this
:-)

T

Good luck with your viva! I know lots of people who have really enjoyed theirs as it was an opportunity to discuss their work with people who were genuinely interested and informed and who had read their thesis! So I hope it goes like that for you. Remember you are the world's expert on your thesis and the examiner's will respect that.

I've posted this link before, but it really think it'll be of help:
http://www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers/1241/Your%20viva.html

best of luck,
Tennie

W

I'd just like to add to TennieV's comment about you being the expert. Being the expert, you'll be aware of all of the strengths and weaknesses of you research, so be open and prepared to discuss both the strengths and weaknesses of your research. What would you do differently if you could do it again - and why? Remember that you're PhD represents your journey to become a researcher -and like any journey there will have been times of success, times of despair and times of challenge. It represents how you have grown and developed as much the actual quality of the study itself.

Good luck Lilbobeep!(up)

T

Hi Lilbobeep,

I also meant to say: it's okay to say 'I don't know' if this is the case. One approach by examiners is to keep asking until they reach the boundary of your knowledge... you're not expected to know everything! And let your enthusiasm for your subject shine through. let us know how it went!

good luck
Tennie

A

Good luck for your Viva.. just be confident ..i have my moc viva soon