Do references contribute to the word count for an abstract?

I need to submit an abstract for a conference during the Summer by the end of today. The maximum word count is 500 words but the website doesn't specify whether the list of references are included in the word count or not?? I have a feeling they wouldn't be but I'm really not sure. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm in the sciences if that has any bearing.

Thanks,
Ev
xx

R

Hi Ev,

in the abstracts that I have written, and I think that is the case for most abstracts, there are no references at all. As such they can also not count, as not used.

It is only in the main body of the text that references are used. Abstract and references do not count to the word count for the full paper.

:-)

Thanks Rick

but in the sample abstracts available on the conference website there are citations and a list of references too. I think this seems odd to many people but it seems that that's how the organisers want it.

B

I've never included references in an abstract before. I refer to academics in the abstract by name, but don't give more precise details.

B

Ah just read your reply. Seems strange. Ok then I'd say the references don't count to the word total.