Do we have it too easy??

P

======= Date Modified 21 Sep 2009 17:04:04 =======

Quote From sneaks:

I actually did an 'about turn' just before uni - I was going to go to do music as everyone assumed that was what would happen. So I do understand the 'arts'. I still work as a musician so please don't imagine me in a lab coat poking people to get reactions!

I'm sorry for not remembering your discipline sneaks. But more generally my point remains.... sometimes disciplines cross-connect... it happened a bit on who's doing the weirdest PhD thread...

I think the two gentlemen have got it about right - it would be rubbish to have a tiered system where the rich get the best education. As a lecturer I know that departments are constantly fearing that someone will turn round and demand a 'reciept' for what they are getting in terms of education e.g. contact hours, essays marked in so many days, grades, personal tuition etc etc.

Quote From phdbug:

I'm sorry for not remembering your discipline sneaks. But more generally my point remains.... sometimes disciplines cross-connect... it happened a bit on who's doing the weirdest PhD thread...

Can I go back in time then, and put that psychology is a waste of time and a soft subject - at least it is my own discipline so I know what its like and can therefore be sure in myself that I know its not (I was merely highlighting a general perception)

Yeah, I've thought we'd all benefit from less of the younger population entering Higher Education - you don't need a degree to do office work, but these days you do need one to get an interview for an office job.

But, like Walminskipea says, a return to the 1960s system would mean a return to a more rigid two tier society. My dad comes from a very poor family: hunger, overcrowding, extreme cold during the 1950s, and was destined to follow my grandad as a painter and decorator until he did very well in his final year at junior school (due to gettig some NHS specs); won a scholarship to a grammar school; and then took a sandwich degree in engineering. He went to the university which gave him the most money, not the best one he could. He was very lucky indeed, his brothers and sisters were not so, and have remained poor, and in careers which have given them little satisfaction, even though they are as bright as my dad. The fact that they are more than capable of better things, and so suited to academic work (we seem to be a family of natural academics) makes their situation difficult - they all won grammar school places, but the family couldn't afford to pay the fees.

I think some support accross the range of subjects is essential in HE for this reason, just to keep things open, and some kind of level playing field for university entrance. Not sure what that would be though!

Some of my design students came up with an interesting idea last year when I set them the task of decising a future arts school, with solutions to funding and fees issues. They suggested a design school in which third and final year students produced items for sale, at which guidance would be given by a famous designer. So you could get, say, the St Martin's range, endoursed by Vivienne Westwood, at TopShop. I thought that was pretty good - they also tied it with making and buying British.

good idea Eska, although my friend works for vivienne westwood and I have it on good authority that she tends to see a good idea put her signature at the bottom and pass it off as her own cos you are her employee its then ok lol. :p

The problem is, with all the students working to pay fees, then all the jobs that the non-university people would have gone for are all gone!

P

======= Date Modified 21 Sep 2009 17:23:56 =======
Sorry, i got it worng it seems... apologies..

bug - you are always right - a matriarch of the forum (up)

Yeah, I used to work with an ex-employee of Westwood's and, and some of my in laws have sold their stuff in her shops, she does rip people off left right and centre; I just used a name I thought people would know, what with many of you being lab-coat wearing types! Maybe people like Husseyn Chalayan would be more trustworthy, and more in need of a bit of extra cash. It's true about the jobs thing, but my students were keen because they thought it would give them a much needed start in the industry. We'd been studying Bau Haus, the original art school model, which was meant to be commercial, they were inspired by that.

does sound like a good idea - maybe students should have to serve the community in some way. I know my old uni used to have a law clinic which, if you were skint/brave enough they would represent you and help you out like the citizens advice bureau. I guess you could have services to fashion. Don't know what Psychs would do - if only I had studied like Derren Brown then I would be RICH.......................rich............................rich 8-)

R

======= Date Modified 21 Sep 2009 17:38:50 =======
Design courses at St Martins already have commercial relevance built into them as personal and professional development modules, working with external companies and organisations.

[EDIT] Oh yes and they engage with design in relation to social and environmental problems like sustainability and crime. They are 'real' courses too, validated by HEFCE for any cynics out there! :-)

AAaaaaahhhh, well maybe my studes should try for postgrad there then. Do you think it works out well Ruby?

I did think that the central school must do some kind of sale at the end - I thought that people go to the degree shows to buy stuff/commission students. My dad went there back in the 1960s

R

======= Date Modified 21 Sep 2009 17:56:01 =======
Eska, I wouldn't like to say one way or the other really, depends on the subject and the person, but very good postgrad course directors though and ex-students seem to do ok out of it, very interesting cohorts to work with. I'd say to any would-be student for any college to check out the course work at end-of-year shows, talk to current or graduating students, or go to an open day and see if it suits your own work, then decide. I noticed that design students on the Phillippe Stark programme on BBC2 tonight are from many different colleges, so talent and good teaching are clearly found all over the place. Luckily for the likes of us looking for interesting jobs!! :-)

R

Quote From sneaks:

I did think that the central school must do some kind of sale at the end - I thought that people go to the degree shows to buy stuff/commission students. My dad went there back in the 1960s

Yes, students do sell stuff or get commissions at the end of year shows, well, the lucky ones anyway! The college also buys work for its own collection, which includes students going back to its early days. Maybe your dad's in it! My dad used to go to gigs there in the late 50s/early 60s.

P

======= Date Modified 21 Sep 2009 18:06:47 =======

Quote From sneaks:

bug - you are always right - a matriarch of the forum (up)

:-) (bug smiles shyly, turns a deep reddish pink and shuffles her feet)