Do you actually learn anything

R

Was just reflecting on what have I actually learned. I have been working several months now on my project( quality in healthcare) and doing a literature review has been helpful regarding getting an overview regarding the subject. I notice that, at least that seems to be, that I know the subject quite well and are able to refer to the literature (by heart!) Also writting a research proposal has helped in putting things in a logical order and to make a complex matter clear for myself and hopefully for the reader.

Any other things people have learned?

C

I have learnt that the academic world is more ruthless than I have thought. As an undergraduate I was oblivious to this. But now I notice how tired a lot of the staff look, have been told implictly and explicitly how they have to juggle family time and work life and I guess that since I have had to do all of this in the past six months I have learnt this by experience.

R

Thanks, Chrisrolinski,

yeah seems a ruthless world, strange as you would expect everyone to be well educated. Maybe we are all asymmetrically developed (good in science, less with people?)

Regards

Rick

C

I also found out that academia can be really harsh!! Most academics are competing with each other and often the poor PhD students get stuck in the middle....

J

academic politics suxs