Do you know?

P

I'm from Portugal and i'm now applying for a Phd studenship at John Innes Centre- University of East Anglia- Norwich
Does anybody know anything about this Institution? Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

T

I am going to one of the neighbouring institutes in october

YOu can find info at www.jic.ac.uk

A

Used to work there. Has been undergoing a lot of restructuring and reorganisation lately - research institutes don't seem to have quite the prestige (and certainly not the funding) that they used to. Having said that, from what I hear they still take their students seriously. Good if you want to do a PhD but want to be away from the 'student life' of a university.

P

I thought that John Innes Centre was part of University of East Anglia, is it? what do you mean "certainly not for funding"? The University is funding the program, i think...
All the forms I sent were adressed to East Anglia...
Does anybody have a clue?
Anyway, i'm still waiting for a positive response.
I'm really anxious to be part of a PhD program...
And it's too hot here in Portugal...

The John Innes Centre is a government research centre funded by the BBSRC (Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council). Its PhD students are registered with UEA and the degree is awarded by UEA, but it is not part of UEA. Your supervisor will probably be employed directly by the BBSRC.

Physically it is located in Norwich Research Park (NRP) which adjoins the UEA campus.

S

The people of Norwich will be thrilled to have you, it's a chance for them to refresh the local gene pool.