Do you take notes on paper or digitally ?

E

Hello everyone !
I am in the process of joining a PhD, and I have a "pedantic little Virgo" question. Do you make notes and write stuff the traditional way on paper, or always in a word processor ? Or a mixed method ? What are the pros and cons according to you ?

I used to write my stuff on paper,it seems to be easier to take notes from a book on a sheet than on a computer. And it's somehow easier to read papers that I have in my hand... I tend to miss mistakes on the screen for some strange reason. But in the end I have rewrite it or to type it out (and my handwriting is terribly unlegible to others anyway), so it takes more time in the end...

Maybe this is a terribly stupid question, but I'd love your input anyway !

J

Hey there

Well, I am paper crazy. I can't stand looking at and reading notes and papers on the computer so have tonnes of paper everywhere when I am nearing the end of a big piece of work. I find that paper makes everything much easier to have to hand as well, on the comp you have to go through files and it just isn't as easy to place where you 'read that quote that you must have NOW!'.

Not good for the environment though, but the papers get a LOT of wear!

You can't scrawl all over the comp either...

J

No notes - no problems

S

I don't make a lot of notes - maybe I should! I highlight and sometimes scribble on papers, keep an A4 notebook for general notes and occaisionally write notes on screen if I have a lot to say about a particular paper. Although I love paper - my handwriting has deteriorated so badly that I wouldn't use it for more than a few lines now.

B

Etenalvoyageur - If you are just starting, get an edition of Endnote referencing software. I use it for managing my references and input general notes about the papers I read and with a bit of setting up (having a field for General Area), it will reap benefits in the long term. Most colleges run courses for EndNote (or whatever version of referencing software is the norm there). Hope that helps and good luck with the research.