Does anyone actually use/understand Endnote?

B

======= Date Modified 16 Nov 2010 18:01:51 =======
Hi all,

I bought Endnote a couple of months ago and since they've all I've done with it is put all my references into it. I bought it with the intention of linking it to word, and this whole "cite while you write", but I just don't understand it.

For example, when it puts a citation in my work e.g "Jones 2000", I want it to have a comma in it "Jones, 2000) but I can't for the life of me work out how to do it. Also, when it automatically produces the reference list at the end, the references are never done how I am supposed to do them, even with the correct reference style selected. Finally, I want to use it on my home computer as well as my office computer. When I'm using my office computer I open up a copy of my main library, which works fine. But when I save references to it, I get home and they aren't on it! Aah!

For those who use it, did it take a long time for you to work it out?! And should I stick with it or just give up and only use it to store my references?

Thanks everyone!

B

I used it for my 6-year part-time PhD, but I just used it as a database of things I'd read. I couldn't get "cite while you write" to work with my ancient version of Mac Word, and as a humanities student with an unusual referencing style I preferred to do my references manually. But it was superb at remembering things I'd read, and most useful when I (manually) produced my final bibliography.

D

I use EndNote extensively (on a Mac with Pages) and I find it fantastic for maintaining my refrences. I love that I can use Harvard whilst making notes so I can see who I am talking about and then flick to a numbered system for grammar checking.
Like so much with IT you do need to put the effort in to get the results out. Many Uni's have training courses in EndNote and if you are going to be publishing over the years ahead it is worth taking the time to learn.
Everything you have had trouble with is resolvable once you know what to do - although maintaining your database of references on two computers can take some discipline. I am more than happy for you to contact me by email ([email protected]) if you have any specific questions as it is a bit involved for this forum..

S

Hi Button,

I am using EndNote and also given some training on it for new users. I have also developed a manual for the new users. It might be useful at the start. PM me your email address. I will send you a copy of it.

S

Okay, the first issue can be dealt with by changing the style that you use. This can either be done through finding a new style or by editing a current style to fit your needs. If you are required to cite in a certain way then it is possible that your department has an endnote style file that you can use - ask around your other PhDers. If this is not the case and you need to edit the style then you have to go to Edit>Output Styles> Edit "Currently Selected Style". You'll need to alter the Citations template and the bibliography template. This website may help http://www.hsl.unc.edu/Services/Tutorials/ENDNOTE/Beyond_Basics.htm . Out of interest, what is wrong with the way the bibliography is set up (there may be a slightly easier solution)?

The second issue, I would guess as I don't use it myself, could be dealt with through setting up an Endnote Web account and using that as your main place to store references. What I do is utilise my university's remote desktop so that I can use my files and the programs that are on my Uni harddrive.

Sorry if that's a bit technical, but its relatively easy to use after the first time.

T

Hi,

It may seem a strange advice to your problems but I would suggest switching from Word to LaTeX. You would not have to worry about "anything while you write" ever again. Once you learn it. And you would still make use of EndNote if you wish and already paid for it. The advantages are numerous (even for people who do not use maths as is quite common misconception) and disadvantages few (steep learning curve and problematic cooperation on a same document with people who do not know it). I do not know anybody who has looked back to Word, or any word-processing software for that matter. Give it a go, it may be hard at first but if you have at least a few years in academia ahead it is ultimately worth it. For me, the writing is necessary evil but using the proper tools makes it just a little bit more bearable.