Does anyone know why I can't seem to land a PhD position??

L

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum, and I'm posting because I've had absolutely no luck in getting a PhD position over the past year, and I'm completely at my wit's end as to why.

I have a 1st class B.Eng, scoring in top 2% of my graduating class. My uni isn't HIGHLY ranked, but the program is internationally recognized (Washington Accord). I did my M.Sc. there due to personal reasons, and I graduated with a 3.7 CGPA. I've been in research since my undergrad days and have published 15 papers including an invited book chapter; and in reputed conferences from Korea to Canada. My citation count is at 15.
I've worked insanely hard to fit everything in my CV from an early age. RA-ships, TA-ships, conducting engineering software workshops, a practical engineering job - heck, I've been in "side" published research with two other unis.

All this, and I cannot get a single positive reply for PhD. I never thought it would be easy...but I've written short emails, long emails, enclosed a proposal (I've written 3 different ones, with recent relevant references), reorganized my CV, tailor-made cover letters, you name it! I've emailed profs, giving them ideas on their own papers! My applications count is nearing 100 and NOTHING so far.
I've read countless articles about tips for cover letters, CV's, how to email profs, etc. and have reworked it all numerous times with different approaches: show-off, modest, polite, straightforward.

Does anyone have ANY idea what I might be doing wrong?? I'm literally near a breakdown :-(

I'm very sorry for the ranting post, but I joined because I really do need help. I've done everything I think I could possibly do alone.

I

Hiya,
Sounds like you have an impressive CV!!! I finished my PhD a while ago, and tbh here's what I think about the admissions process- it's a JOKE!! You could have firsts, distinctions, 4.0 GPA, good proposal and still not get accepted. Few things you need to bear in mind:

1) Admissions is FIERCELY COMPETITIVE for PhDs and postdocs- I have not been accepted to a single postdoc/job yet even though I have a PhD from one of the top two unis in the UK . My postdoc proposals, references, etc are also excellent but I have been rejected from all postdocs so far (only waiting on 2) and all jobs. Thing is with all the austerity, there aren't many vacancies and hundreds of people applying for every post whether PhD or postdoc or job. So even if you have excellent qualifications it's no guarantee.

2) You said you emailed professors but sending prof at this stage is not enough- you have to liaise with them regularly and show how you can be a good candidate to advance their current research interests further via your thesis.

3) 100 PhD applications is too much to the point where I don't believe that all these applications are of a high quality. When I was applying for PhDs I applied to only 8 and that was considered a lot by some. Focus more on quality than quantity and getting close (even perhaps talking or meeting) professors.

4) Don't be discouraged- I'm in the same shoes as you with postdocs and sometimes I feel discouraged. You just have to be patient and focus on investing more per application as opposed to sending many applications at once.

If you need any specific advice/tips PM me.

H

Hi,
First of all, sorry that you are struggling, but I am sure you will find a PhD. In addition to the points above, I'd suggest another point. You say that you have given potential supervisors ideas on their papers- do you mean you've worked with them collaboratively, or you have volunteered a critique in the process of your phd application? If it is the latter, I can't imagine that would endear you to potential supevisors. Otherwise I'd say keep going but, as above, quality not quantity and tailor your application to the specifuc research area of the academic you are applying to.

U

Dear lude

You seem to be a phd and a professor already. So why would a professor hire another professor? :)

Please don't mind my above comment. Apart from the advice in other posts, I would suggest that don't devise different methods to applying for funding. Just be yourself. You are perhaps doing an overkill job. It may not be a good approach to suggest ideas to professors on their papers which. Don't try to be smarter than your would-be boss.

However, when you write your research proposal, it is good to cite the research of professor you are contacting. It would also perhaps do better that you should seek help from your previous professors to review your research proposal.

Keep your cover page application short and simple.

L

Thank you so much for your replies.

Incognito, sorry to hear that you're in the same spot as me for your post-doc. Like you said, the admissions process is a joke - it gives the impression of being one of those employment black holes, where you send your CV, and nothing comes back, yet someone gets hired by some hidden voodoo criteria.

Yes, happyclappy and UKPhDStudent, I know no one would like a smart alec :D. Generally, I approach them like: "hey, in that paper you've done this, in my paper i did this, i think we can mash the two together and do this. Or, if you don't like that, how about anything else you'd like to do? I'm good at this and this." Its very polite and supportive/suggestive, and not critical. Is it a good idea to approach them like this?
As Incognito pointed out, I should liase with them, rather than just email. I've even done that in the above manner, without even mentioning that I'd like a PhD position. Sometimes I don't get replies. Sometimes I get replies saying the ideas are great. When I mention PhD...silence.

As for the quality of my applications - I'm sure they could be improved - but I generally try do the same thing. Read about the prof, read their/review papers in the field, and tailor-write every application. What do you think should be emphasized? Ideas? My technical skills? My motivation? Relevance? Anything I'm missing?
In some places I've read you should write extensively about your motivation & skills - perhaps even a personal story. In other places, I've read that profs don't like when you just enumerate your CV, and want to hear how much you keep in touch with research. I've tried both without result.

Thanks again for the replies. Wish you the best with the post-doc hunt Incognito.

I

What should be emphasised in your applications are the following:

1) How original your research/thesis will be?
2) How related it is to the research of faculty members (the ones you want to work with)
3) What qualities you have (experience and personality traits) that make you the right person to choose.

Easier said than done that's why I said quality over quantity. When I applied to 8 unis I got rejected from 6 and accepted by 2 and part of me thinks I should've only applied to 5!

As I'm writing this I'm submitting another job application by the way, which asks for a Masters in Economics and 1 year work experience. Now I have a PhD, 3 years teaching experience, and 4 years working as a Senior Economist in the City of London (and one major publication close to being published). I also speak several languages. However, I'm not holding my breath- for a similar job I applied to in November, 288 people applied for one vacancy!!!!!! That gives you an idea of how hard it is, and i'm not even in the UK I'm currently in Canada as it's supposed to be easier to get jobs (though not postdocs) here. Point is it's very difficult and that's why focus on quality and don't set high hopes so you won't be disappointed: I'm enjoying life here and each day as it goes, and while I'm not used to it, I must say I needed a break from finishing the PhD a couple of months ago.

As for combining motivation and keeping in touch, you have to do both. By focusing on points 1-3 in this post you'll address both anyway. Chin up and don't feel bad- I believe I got accepted to the PhD because my supervisor was desperate for someone who did my topic so luck plays a part unfortunately in these things. Good luck to u too and keep in touch!