Does every study have to go in the thesis?

T

I've been feeling so demotivated, even though I have so much to do in such a short space of time (in fact, I think that's contributing to it). I'm having to write up the most boring study that didn't find anything and was just utter rubbish anyway. The other two studies I've done are probably enough data for the thesis. Do I HAVE to include this? I so cannot be bothered to write it up. There is NOTHING interesting about it and it is driving me insane.

M

Does it have value for other researchers? Like - would it make a contribution to the field knowing that whatever you found out that didn't work did not in fact work? Was your hypothesis really obvious? If not, there may be some merit in writing it down, so others may one day look at whaever your were looking for in a different way?

P

Quote From Tudor_Queen:
I've been feeling so demotivated, even though I have so much to do in such a short space of time (in fact, I think that's contributing to it). I'm having to write up the most boring study that didn't find anything and was just utter rubbish anyway. The other two studies I've done are probably enough data for the thesis. Do I HAVE to include this? I so cannot be bothered to write it up. There is NOTHING interesting about it and it is driving me insane.

No you dont have to include everything.
I left out one piece of published work because it didnt fit the story I was telling.
I also left out something else which didnt give an interesting answer.
It might help you to mention in the viva that your thesis doesnt include everything.

T

Thanks both. I will consider whether to include it or not then. It was interesting but went a bit pear shaped. I would certainly mention it in my viva and perhaps even put the protocol in my appendix with notes on how it should be improved for a future study. It would be amazing not to write it up.