Does the quality of university matter at master's level?

M

======= Date Modified 26 40 2008 12:40:52 =======
I graduated in 2005 with a 2.2 in Economics from the University of Sheffield . Despite this I've decided I want to self fund a masters and eventually pursue a PHD in Social Policy, I sincerely believe I'm capable and I'm confident I could perform well at masters level. I'm currently having a dilemma in deciding which institution to apply to. I'm torn between choosing a masters which is highly relevant for a research degree, the Msc Research Methods (Social Policy) at ******** which has 1 + 3 ESRC recognition. This would count as the first year of a Phd or choosing a masters at a 'higher ranked' university such as Sheffield or Nottingham. If I chose to do the masters in social policy on offer at either of these institutions I would only have a qualification that didn't have ESRC 1 + 3 recognition. I wouldn't mind studying a further year provided I could get funding.

What would leave me in a better position to apply for ESRC funding after finishing the masters? (Bearing in mind I have a 2.2 at undergraduate level). Should I choose a course at a more traditional university or choose the relevant course. Does anybody know if the ESRC prefers to hand out +3 studentship over 1 + 3? Any input in helping me solve this dilemma would be much appreciated.

D

Hi,

Having been to several post grad open days now (inc. york just today lol) this has been one of the questions iv been asking. Most universities are happy to take applications from students interested in 1+3 courses or the 3+. However nottingham university did say they preferred 1+3 studentships, purely because the students who study for a masters, tend to stay their for their phd course afterwards, so theres not much room for accepting students in addition to their own after masters. also nottingham said in most circumstances the masters is paid for and they can guarrentee funding for phd, as they do all the searching through the research councils etc. that is the cases for psychology anyway, so best check with the departmental tutors or admissions staff for social policy, and at each uni you apply for, as their more than happy to help with any queries with regards to applying or funding.

Hope that helps
Dawn x