Doing 12 months work in 6

J

After a disastrous first year and failure at the first year panel (partly my fault and partly poor supervision), I was given another chance. This has also turned in a series of misadventures. Although I have done my best, several unrelated unfortunate occurrences (not my fault) have led to many delays in my submitting my report. I have my re-submission panel early next month and I can foresee a major problem will be their perception of my lack of time to get enough work done for my next 2000 word report. I really have to get a years worth of work done in 6 months.

I am looking for suggestions of ways to justify that I can get a reasonable amount done. I am not the fastest worker but I am dogged and will work all hours. The subject is practice-based, and I am quite quick with that sort of work. It is the written work that I am slowest with.

The last thing that I want is not to be seeming to be take responsibility!

H

It's difficult to say without knowing exactly what stage you will be at, but if I had to write what I am writing in my third year in one month, it'd take me about 4-5 months in the first year. This is because the more experience you get at writing, the more feedback you get, the better you get it. Are your supervisors on board? You can argue they have faith in you that you can get it done in time.

J

That's a really good point, I had so little support from supervisors initially I forget that's what they can be there for! I have been getting help from Study Support which has really increased my writing speed, and my Study support worker has offered to come to the panel. I think I will take her up on her offer as that may go some way to illustrate that I am being proactive. I will also try and get that support from my supervisors, one will probably support but not sure about the other...
Thanks for the response!

H

Quote From janer:
That's a really good point, I had so little support from supervisors initially I forget that's what they can be there for! I have been getting help from Study Support which has really increased my writing speed, and my Study support worker has offered to come to the panel. I think I will take her up on her offer as that may go some way to illustrate that I am being proactive. I will also try and get that support from my supervisors, one will probably support but not sure about the other...
Thanks for the response!

Maybe get an email/note from your supervisor saying she or he lends her support. One supervisor lending support should be sufficient.

J

Thanks Hugh, will do, they will be in the Panel but are not allowed to speak. I was also going to do an analysis of how my writing speed has increased over the last 2 months, so if I am questioned on it I can bring that up.