Doing a PhD, does it make you ugly?

O

This thread makes me laugh--we all know that feeling, I am sure. Yesterday was an "ugly day" with my old sweat shirt and jeans and bad hair day. Today, I am in a smart grey and black outfit, tights, even some makeup! I usually act as if I am going to work and make myself get up and wash and dry my hair, put on work type of clothes, and get to the university by about 8:30-ish. I think I am getting thinner due to having to walk so much and minding my food budget so I only have really boring and healthy cheap whole grains and fruits, no snacks. =(

O

Grey hair--its probably as much genetics as stress! So you can console yourself that no matter what you were doing, your hair might be the same. I am glad I got my dad's hair--he stayed nearly grey free until his mid 60's! I pluck the occasional grey hair off my head ( why are they coarse and stick out like a spring? well it makes them easy to locate), but so far, not too bad!

T

I know the feeling! I hate the fact I have grey hairs and have put on a bit of weight since starting my PhD.

I think the whole 'aging' process is made more apparent when you are doing a PhD due to the large number of fresh faced 18-21 year olds running around campus!

R

A supervisor told me ages ago that he could always spot a PhD student close to submission, even if he didn't know them, because of the physical signs... freshly overweight or painfully thin, tired or permanently ill looking, hair falling out, skin problems, a glazed expression in their eyes. (He didn't mention bad dress sense, but I don't think he'd notice that anyway.) My hair's thinner than it was a few months ago, which is bothering me a bit. It's probably a good thing that completing students don't take part in recruitment events for new students though, as they (we!) probably wouldn't present a very enticing cohort.

I'd echo Bonzo's comment about the change in people who've finished though- it's like they're different people, or had a Trinny and Susannah/Gok style makeover or something. Amazing contrast.

H

Tricky, go away, there is no room for you on this thread! You good-looking so and so!

8-)

(Joking - about the go away part)

R

Oh dear... So this is where students get their 'scruffy' reputation from? Just joking :-) Seriously though, in my humble opinion doing a PhD is not a good enough reason to ignore your health! However, I have probably gone to the opposite extreme - I have become obsessed with exercise... yet another means of procrastination ;-)

T

:$ Thanks H

C

I do what I can to stay vaguely in some form of presentable appearance when I leave the house. That being said, I don't actually have a pair of socks that either matches or doesn't have a hole in the heel (I have started to double layer my socks). My weight has always been quite low, I am the same size I was at 17. That being said, when stressed I lose a lot of weight and end up looking like skeletor! ick. If I am working on a chapter I get this harried look in my face, forget to shave or wash really, and stagger into campus to print it off looking like a wreck. When I teach next year (my third year) I am going to make a real effort to try and look competent and smart. But really, what with teaching and writing up, I'm going to look like a wreck in front of a class of freshfaced, well dressed 19 year olds! sigh. ;-):-s:-(:p

R

I always thought scruffy, wasted-looking staff had an interesting air of worldliness and life experience about them, when I was a fresh faced nineteen year old.

P

This is such a reassuring thread! I can completely identify...

Can't blame gray hairs on the PhD - I think I found the first one about age 10 - but have quit being bothered to wear/clean my contacts, barely manage to get my hair coloured, and when I went for a haircut last week (first in months) I could tell the stylist was trying not to appear openly horrified at the mess she found! And I'm getting fat as well.

I like the idea of instant makeover after submission, though.

C

I'm hoping that once this PhD is completed I can undergo a transformation worthy of Anne Hathway in The Devil Wears Prada...heh.... :p

T

I completely hear you people - i have gotten so obsessed with leaving the house looking like a normal person, last year i wouldn't have bothered, then i had a boyfriend who only bothered about my appearances when his capitalist cronies were about. Now i make an effort to dress and exercise for fear of looking 40 when i am 32 plus i don't want to scare away any potential dudes!

T

Quote From rubyw:

I always thought scruffy, wasted-looking staff had an interesting air of worldliness and life experience about them, when I was a fresh faced nineteen year old.

Phew!

C

Hi Folks

No weight gain for me to report, although am naturally very thin and do lots of exercise.

The other signs are all there though, I'm starting to find grey hairs now........ I'm 24 at the end of the month

Also am only sleeping about 5-6 hours a night which does'nt help.

I should also add, my daily routines have slipped a bit, i now shave weekly not daily, also haven't bought any new clothes since last december

Must admit i've never been terribly concerned about my appearance, but i would agree that this whole PhD situation is'nt helping

L

It is so good to know I am not alone! When I was working I always made such an effort and my retro dresses were famous round the office! Right now I am sat in mud splattered jeans tucked into purple socks and a fleece...To be fair this is mainly due to the dog walk I have just been on but I will no doubt sit in them all day and maybe even into the night! When I go and do fieldwork or go into uni I get quite excited at the prospect of wearing something nice! My boyfriend is very understanding and I think he is even as fond of my 'council flat pants' as I am. I was discussing with ex-colleagues about getting dressed to work and they all said they would stay in PJs all day if they were me but I find I at least need to get ready properly to be in a mindset to work!

On the hair point...I had it cut into a pixie crop to save any extra hassle!

Maybe there needs to be some reality TV show in vein of Trinny and Susannah that assist us regain our style! On second thoughts...I don't think I would volunteer for it!