Doing an Mphil after MSc worthwhile? (Psychology)

A

I have a First class honours BSc in Psychology from University of Huddersfield, and also a pass with merit MSc in Psychological Approaches to Health from University of Leeds.

I have spotted a job opportunity that comes with a studentship to complete an MPhil. I was wondering if this would be worth doing as I suspect the MSc and MPhil are considered equivalent, even though an MSc is taught and the MPhil is by research. I understand a Phd can be, somewhat crudely, considered as consisting of 2 MPhils.

Thanks in advance (up) :-)

M

I wouldn't crudely consider a PhD 2 MPhils (unless you're looking at time commitment/word count etc), the standards are different.

A MPhil with a studentship is definitely worth doing if you're interested in pursuing research, and at the end of the MPhil you'll probably be able to upgrade to a PhD if you so desire.

Personally, I've always viewed MSc or MA as a lower degree compared to an MPhil - the latter usually involving more work (usually 2/possibly even 3 years) and independent research.

Whether the MPhil is worth has nothing to do with is equivalency to an MSc etc., but what you can gain out of it...

K

Hi! I would tend to agree with Missspacey- if you want to carry on in research then an MPhil is probably a good plan. The MSc would be considered appropriate as a pre-cursor to a PhD if it was an accredited by the research council as providing suitable research training in preparation for a PhD. These degrees tend to be part taught but with a substantial research component. But it sounds as though yours was fully taught, so probably didn't focus so much on research skills, thus an MPhil would be a good move, particularly if you want to go into research. I don't think a PhD can really be considered as 2 MPhils- it is a lot more demanding than a masters and is expected to be of a much higher standard. Best wishes, KB.