Doing Phd & apply for a new PhD position?

S

======= Date Modified 12 31 2010 20:31:20 =======
======= Date Modified 12 19 2010 00:19:14 =======
Hello
I started my PhD in Engineering at a University in Europe 3 months back.
The University is not so famous but the group is doing good in the research community.

Now I find an opening in the same field in Cambridge and I desperately want to apply.
Because it is Cambridge and the PhD takes one year less!

But the problem is that one of the Profs at Cambridge has some collaboration with my
current guide.

1.So should I apply risking the fact being known to my current guide?
2. If I apply should I mention my current engagement?
3. I just suppress the current engagement and apply?

Please advice. I have very little time to decide.

Thanks
SM

T

if you apply and you get turned down chances are your current supervisor finds out. and i dont think hes gonna be very happy with you...keep in mind you'd have to stick around with him for another 4(?) years.
thing is, yes the uk has their phd program one year shorter. but that doesnt necessarily mean that it makes it better/faster indeed. loads n loads of phd's end up extending to write up; or end up without funding at all and still gotta write up. while the phds with 4 years (at least the one in holland) has more time involved for writing and they actually expect you to write up within the given time without the need to extend. chances are, you might be quicker done with the 4 year than the 3 year phd, and if your group is doing good work as well, you have a good suervisor and your project is working well, then why would you want to change anyways? only cause of the cambridge name? a big name doesnt mean they will automatically do good work as well

well I would imagine that your supervising team will find out - people gossip!

You are unlikely to get the cambridge one if you applied, because you are 3 months into a different PhD - they won't want someone who doesn't demontrate committment, they'll assume you'll want to leave them after 3 months too.

If your team do find out you applied, then you will have to work with them for another 3 years + with them knowing you aren't that committed to your work and you wanted to leave.

I'd say its a bad idea.

S

I agree with the others - how do you think Cambridge would view the fact that you're 3 months into a PhD and want to leave it for a name (if you read posts you'll find that we always say at this level its not the insitution that counts so much) and for a shorter duration that in reality isn't the case anyway - we have a 3 year set PhD and a completion year - the completion year isn't covered by any funding of any kind so you're worse off in the long run. How would you go about supressing the fact that you're currently enrolled on a PhD? Do you think the offer would still apply (if you even got one) when they found out? Would your current team not notice your name on any publications etc and let them know maybe 2 or 3 years into the future - then you're thrown off your course for lying on your application. Stay where you are, you've said yourself you're in a good team doing good work - why jeopardise everything for a name and what will most likely be the same duration anyway?

======= Date Modified 12 Jul 2010 09:00:13 =======
Double post

Stressed is right - you need to think of the bigger picture. What if you want a research career in the future, you will have alienated your current research group - these things, in my field anyway, could ruin your career.

S

Thank to all of you!
So I think I must not apply to Cambridge....
But just to tell you the group at Cambridge is also very good.
And is it really true about the one year non paid writing?
Regards
SM

S

wow, if me I would not apply.
just a question, do you have a bed where you live
:-)
because I don't
love satchi

S

Lmao Satchi :-)

Yes SM, we don't tell fibs about these things :-) Perfectly true - 3 years PhD and 1 year completion - some don't need the completion year, most do.

Cambridge I'm sure is good too but there's more to this than that - its about maintaining your professional integrity and making a good name for yourself rather than upsetting senior academics at this stage in your career which could well happen if you don't tell the whole truth or if you are seen to be unreliable or not committed. You know that's not the case, but its how it could well look.