don't want to faint!

J

Hi later today I have to take skin biopsies from dead dogs. I am really worried about it. I really don't wanna pass out. Any advice?

D

Absolutely refuse to have anything to do with such evil exploitation! That's the best way to handle it

J

hey,

Its not exploitation. I am a veggie and I believe in animal rights I would NEVER work on experimental animals I would rather die first. My PhD is on canine dermatitis. I am taking tiny biopsies of skin off ill dogs in order to help them. The dead dogs were not killed for the work I am doing. They come from the rspca they are the bodies of the dogs that put to sleep anyway. I disagree with the RSPCA putting dogs to sleep but at least this way maybe some small amount of good can come out of it. The dog would still be dead whether I took the skin or not. I work for a cat rescue and all my life I have wanted to help animals. So don't ever accuse me of exploiting animals because that is one thing I would never do. For the record taking the skin last night was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. So thanks for making me feel a whole lot crappy than I already did.

H

Jen, I think you are really brave for doing it, I'm not squeemish but the thought of the poor animals would have probably upset me.

DJWicked, maybe you should get your facts straight before lashing out with accusations, let this be a lesson to you.

J

thanks H. I feel really awful now. This is the last thing I wanted to be percieved as. The whole time I was doing it I was crying and now today I have to process them and I feel like crying again.

H

Awwww don't cry Jen, at least what you are doing will be helping them and like you said, it's sad that they have to be put down but at least something good can come of it.

I don't think people would perceive it like that, it was only one person who posted without thinking and considering the matter further. Does she also think that autopsies on dead people to work out how they died or take tissue to help cure a certain disease is also exploitation? Most people would not see it that way and what you have done isn't any different!

S

Jen - don't feel bad! The dogs you met yesterday might not have been put down if they were healthier, right? (I know completely healthy animals are put down, but maybe they'd have had a better chance of finding a new home if they weren't ill? Or was the dermatitis actually so bad that they couldn't be helped? I don't know...) SO by researching this you'll probably make a contribution to saving dogs' lives (I guess you know all that, but keep reminding yourself of it). And I don't actually think DJWickid was acusing you of exploitation - to me it sounded like he was saying 'this is the simple answer that helps no-one [have nothing to do with it]' and was acknowledging how complicated real life is? Maybe I'm wrong. Whatever it meant, don't let it upset you any more :(

H

I thought DJWickid was a she?

S

Oh. I don't know - I always imagined DJWickid was a he? Why did you think that? Maybe I associated 'DJ' with 'male' - a sexist assumption?

S

Oh, I see. "I'm in love with Orlando Bloom". Well, until that post I'd thought DJWickid was male.

J

Thanks taupe I'm feeling a bit better now. No I didn't faint I cryed but was ok. Pistou is a cool name for a dog. :)

M

im sorry but i think youre being really wet. its only a skin scraping! Im sure they won't mind!

J

its not skin scrapping its cutting full thickness skin and who asked u anyway?

M

which would only be a few mm in depth! tiny!

by posting your message on this forum you have technically "asked" me

J

what is really wet about it? you think I should have no concern over it?