dosh for overseas conferences

D

======= Date Modified 30 Jun 2011 10:12:36 =======
Hi guys,

I've been lurking around for a while and I have to say, cool site! I've finally got a problem worth putting down so if anyone can help I'd be grateful.

I'm hoping to go to a conference in Florida next January but my supervisor has said that he (the university) can't provide the funds, i.e. I've got to find my own funding. I admit I haven't the slightest clue as to how to go about doing this properly.

The only suggestion I've had so far was to check out "RDFunding.org.uk" but unfortunately, there seem to be very few organisations in my area of research (biomaterials) and the ones that are offer funding only for conferences affiliated with their organisations.

So, oh wise postgrads, will you help me? Please :p

Dan

PS: I'm a UK student, funded by the EPSRC

A

Check the conference website itself as there are sometimes funding opps there.

Far be it for me to advise not listening to your supervisor ;-) but I wouldn't necessarily take his word for it that your uni has no funding. Check with your graduate studies department; there can be all types of funding and part funding opps about; I've yet to meet a supervisor who keeps on top of everything that's available!

D

Hi Dan,

I would double check that as if you are generally funded by research councils there are usually funds for conferences and training etc... as part of your overall training/transferable skills they are so into but that would depend on your type of funding. If you are part of a project awarded to your supervisor there maybe be provisions for such things but if you are awarded one as part of a studentship quota allocated to your dept then there maynot be extra funds available.

Other sources of funding - there should be a dept research fund for PhD students (well in most depts in my subject though the amount varies) and there maybe a travel fund or similar fund for PhD students to bid to for extra expenses incurred. The uni may have a fund which you can submit bids to usually through writing a proposal. These are usually competitive but worth a try. As you've have mentioned there may be funds specifically for your area for research that you can bid for. Try talking to other students in your dept to see where they get funding from.

Good luck with it all. (up)

D

======= Date Modified 30 Jun 2011 10:36:33 =======
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try contacting the university funding office, maybe you're right and they do have money lying around - doubtful, but worth finding out for sure. Unfortunately the conference website doesnt have much in terms of funding opps.