Drawing a table of 'hits' in a literature search

K

Hi

My sup has just told me I now need to include a table showing the number of hits for each combination of search terms I used for my lit search. I haven't kept any of this info (stupid I know) and I was wondering if any of you had done this - I will have to run the searches again I think, but any ideas about what it should look like would be helpful. Thanks

N

Hi Kikuka.

I've got an example from my MSc dissertation on search strategies for systematic reviews. PM me your email address if you're interested.

Regards

C

Kikuka

Just grappling with the same thing. Did you get any good examples that you could share?

Cate

A

Hi

I just have a short question. I just started my PhD in October, and have not thought of this. However I am still not sure where this helps. Could you please explain what the benefits etc are for this? I am doing a science PhD...are you in ascience too? Thanks

K

======= Date Modified 15 Nov 2010 09:07:10 =======
Hi everyone.

I am in the humanities, and as far as I see it, the table of hits is to illustrate which search terms you used to look for relevant literature, and demonstrate how you narrowed the search based on progressively narrower combinations of search terms, which also demonstrates that you used a logical approach and searched in sensible places!
I did get some very valuable help from a forum member on here (Thanks Nieky) so I will pass on the favour, and as soon as I get some time will PM CATE the table I came up with. I am not able to do so at work and wont be home until about 10pm, so it may be tomorrow - but i wont forget.

C

Great thanks so much I will look forward to getting that Kikuka

I am following a systematic literature approach and so the table will help me demonstrate that I have followed through on this. It also should show how I have limited my searches given that I am investigating computer mediated communications and there are potentially millions of sources.