dress to impress for teaching success?

O

Smart casual at least-no way jeans! Think about it. You are in a role of a lecturer, people are paying money for the education. If someone showed up to teach me in jeans, I would seriously think that I was being disrespected. It sends a message, what you wear, and jeans are for bars, for casual wear, or for being a student, but if you are in a role of offering your skill and knowledge through teaching, jeans conveys the message that you do not care, you are apathetic or too casual...

I'd say wear whatever you feel comfortable in, unless your department especially asked for smart-casual or some other "way" to dress. I didn't have any money to get new clothes, or change my hairstyle when I was teaching, besides I didn't really want to anyway. I did get the variations of "oh, I thought you were one of the students" from the head of my department every time he walked into my class, but apart from that all went smoothly. You won't feel confident if you wear something that makes you feel different than your usual self.

M

I'd say go with the status quo. As long as you don't stand out from all the other lecturers/GTAs because of how you're dressed, that's fine. I think it really depends on what and where you're teaching - don't think I've ever seen any of the staff in my department wear anything other than jeans! :p

And speaking personally, I think there are much better ways to get respect from undergrads (I know because I still am one!). Always look like you have a strict plan for the seminar, always start on time, and direct questions to specific students not generally to the whole group - they'll be too scared of being put on the spot to think about what you're wearing. ;-)

R

======= Date Modified 11 Sep 2008 19:06:09 =======

Quote From olivia:

Smart casual at least-no way jeans! Think about it. You are in a role of a lecturer, people are paying money for the education. If someone showed up to teach me in jeans, I would seriously think that I was being disrespected. It sends a message, what you wear, and jeans are for bars, for casual wear, or for being a student, but if you are in a role of offering your skill and knowledge through teaching, jeans conveys the message that you do not care, you are apathetic or too casual...

I think that's a bit simplistic really, it depends on the context. 'Acceptable' dress codes vary a lot according to subject and college - what looks right for teaching a bunch of product design or avant garde fashion students in an art college would seem completely inappropriate for teaching law or business studies at another university, and vice versa. It's still the same academic level - PhD teaching undergraduates, but there is no single right way to dress for teaching, just guidelines.

J

I'd say, look at the dean and execs of your university school and decide to dress in a similar way. In my place, you will find everything, the 50year old lecturer in jeans and t-shirt, the smartasses with suit and tie, the bohemians, the tweedjackets, the Golfplayer-stylez, the scruffy, the stylish and so on. Still, you will see that only those are in high positions or get promoted who dress like the management of the institution. I would say, for your career it doesn't matter what the students think anyway.

I hate the fact that we have to adhere to some unwritten rules to become rulesplayers. Everyone should be allowed to wear what they want, as long as it's not inappropriate (like naked or mini skirt and topless).

I heard of a female young lecturer who got sacked because she insisted on wearing a small nose piercing, I find that quite shocking, actually. Personally.

C

======= Date Modified 26 May 2010 07:12:23 =======
Nice shirt, dressey shoes and aftershave!!! Sneakers are for running..you wouln't approach a woman wearing trackies in a club would you

prom dresses