Driving

G

I just started my PhD and it's going well..I'm loving every moment of it, it's really what I want to do. However - I need to learn to drive before February for my PhD so's I can go out sampling in the field. I've sat my test twice now and failed it both times - not by much, but I'm always so nervous - the stress of knowing I have to pass in order to keep my PhD is too much. I feel like walking in front of a train sometimes the stress is too much.

G

Alison I got really stressed at the prospect of my driving test too. Just make sure you practice a lot and have you thought of trying some herbal remedys to calm your nerves? Like rescue remedy you can buy it from boots

G

Sod the herbal remedies. A good tot of gin the night before will see you right. Failing that, breathing exercises are great for when you feel tense. 10 big deep breaths are great. I find that useful. And chocolate !

G

Just keep going Alison, you have loads of time. I failed 4 times through sheer nervousness but passed the 5th. Put in as much practice as you can, do loads of mock tests. I passed two weeks after my last failure which helped as i didn't have a long time to build it up.

G

Although my friend swears by that rescue remedy stuff. She's always knocking it back.

G

Remember you can still pass even if you're nervous! I passed second time and I was an absolute wreck! My legs were shaking like crazy and everytime I tried to move the car it would shake on the pedal so the car was jumping about all over the place!! Still got my licence! I agree with the LOTS of mock tests suggestions.

G

What DanB said about his friend knocking back the herbal remedies really made me laugh!! Well I spoke to my supervisor and explained how stressed about it I was and things seem a lot better now. And I got paid my stipend today so I'm able to re-sit my test without a growing overdraft on my shoulders!! Thanks for advice guys, I will try those herbal things and keep at it!!