During stressful times....

P

As the title suggests...Mind to share about what therapy/activities/any other business do you do when you are stress? Just curious about some de-stressing methods in the midst of a hectic PhD lifestyle..

I must say, reading this forum can be quite helpful at times...

O

The key to managing stress, I think, is to make sure you get enough sleep as a starter. The lack of sleep can really make stressful situations feel worse--and your brain does not cope as well with information when you are stressed, making it hard to take on board information or to be productive--which can itself lead to stress! Next, I think is making sure to have a healthy diet and to get moderate amounts of exercise, even just a walk around the block is a good start. Getting enough healthy carbs is good for the brain, as carbs fuel the brain, so whole grains, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc. are good ( and affordable on a student budget).

O

Making sure to get some sort of human contact is important, though this can be hard when doing a PhD! Even if its a brief chat with someone, it can help--so I think getting to student events, seminars, or the like is important, but equally, you can find community events, local guided walks, etc. that are also relatively cost free and a good way to change your pace and get out and mingle for awhile with new faces and new places.