Dyslexic and doing a PhD

B

Hello all,

Topic title say's it all really! Any folk on here doing a PhD and dyslexic. I'm just a bit spooked about it all. I know I can do it (I think) but it would be fab to hear from dyslexic folk who have or are doing a PhD and how they found it.

Thanks in advance!

K

J

am not Dyslexic, but am teaching two Dyslexic undergrads. the uni will soon be giving me a list of tips on how to improve their reading and if its helpful i will post them here.

M

Not dyslexic myself but am OT so... excuse my interest/support. I hope you are using Dragon Naturally speaking 9 with the read that back option... makes life really easy even for lazy people like me.

P

hello there! i have a friend who's dyslexic and is currently doing his PhD...hopefully this somehow encourages you to do what you want and not what others think u can or cannot do..as the adage goes when there's a will there's a way..cliche but definitely applies here..
take care!

J

I am dyslexic and have just compleated a masters and am drumming up funding for a PhD, The best advice that I have is get anyone and everyone to check your work. My wife is a teacher and is very understanding when looking through my work for errors. Tutors and friends are also a good source of addition help and very understanding.

B

I'm very dyslexic and have less than a year to go of my PhD so it can be done... well at least i hope so!!!!!

A

I know someone who is dyslexic and has a PhD, and his own very successful business. Says it all really.

S

nothing is impossible

L

I'm quite bady dyslexic and currently writing up my phd which as a social science based thesis is very wordy and took LOTS of reading!! I just take longer reading and have no clue about spelling so i just do my best, use spell check and will pay a proof reader for the final draft (as most people do anyhoo) Hope this helps!