Edit- my Thesis

G

Hi-all

Is it adviserble to give some one to edit your thesis before submitting- Please help

D

Yes - YOURSELF.

By all means ask for help from supervisor or others who have done PhDs their opinions but it should be YOUR OWN WORK - Including how YOU edit it and what YOU choose to put into it.

J

Based on your posting you should definitely get someone to proof read your spelling and grammar errors.

B

It is advisable to have someone proof-read and make suggestions of other changes to consider, but you should be the one to make these changes. So no, don't give someone your thesis to edit.

S

You need to check your university's guidelines on this - some will let you use an editor, others won't. I wouldn't suggest an editor, as these can be very expensive, and can lead to a lot more work if they want you to change sentence structure/arguments etc. But I definitely recommend getting a proof reader - and a professional one, not just a friend. I have someone proofing my thesis, and the things she's picking up are amazing - lots and lots of small mistakes, and inconsistencies. I've checked my thesis and just didn't see these mistakes. These are the kind of things which annoy examiners, so I highly recommend getting a proof reader.

G

Thank you guys for your feedbacks

S

I always get somebody to proof read my work, and often someone like family who can read it and point out what doesn't make sense and where I'm contradicting myself and errors in spelling and grammar. It has to be your own work though, you can't have someone else do all the editing for you - suggestions aren't a problem - 'you've said this, but might it work better if you put it like that' and ' you've written this here, but here it seems to say something different'. I find that I can't see the errors at times until someone points them out and you look at it and wonder how you made such a huge mistake lol - 'I'm not sure you meant to say that' ;-) But yes, editors are very expensive and nobody should alter your work, just maybe draw your attention to where you've maybe made mistakes with structure or spelling and grammar and then you deal with it.