Educational Psychologist

M

I'm looking for the course to become the above but I cannot find any! Does any one know of any or where I could go about finding one? Also do you have to have a PHD in order to become one or is a Masters enough? Please could you help!

K

Hi Maz, I don't know an awful lot about educational psychology, but you need to take a three year doctorate to become one (that's different to a research PhD, it's more like the doctorate for clinical psychology, where some of it is taught and you have placements and so on). I have a friend who has just got onto the educational doctorate at Birmingham university, and I am pretty sure they run the course at Cardiff too. There will be others, I just happen to know that this person applied to these two. I'm pretty sure you don't need a PhD, although my pal did one, but I think the main thing is psych degree, possibly an MSc, and experience of working in schools and with children. Sorry this is a bit vague, but I'm sure if you do a bit of googling and look at the university websites there will be more information about requirements etc! Good luck! KB

Go to the BPS website, they have loads of info on careers and necessary qualifications and courses available.

M

Exeter University has a doctorate in education (EdD) for Educational Psychologists at: http://education.exeter.ac.uk/course_information.php?sitscode=PTG2EDUEDU09
but it does say that it's aimed at experienced and qualified Ed Psychs.

S

google search: becoming an educational psychologist there's lots of information on qualifications etc