EEK! 'progress review' after 5 years...

L

======= Date Modified 05 11 2008 15:11:44 =======
Im in year 5 of a social sciences PhD (did a year long ethnography) and i've had a nightmare trying to write up - i basically didnt write anything for about a year and a half (you can look at my previous posts lol). My supervisor has been really understanding and i'm slowly writing again BUT the department have called me for an 'in depth progress review' in two weeks, with my 1st and 2nd supervisor and head of Phd research -i have to send over everything i've written so far so that they can discuss how 'best to facilitate me' . i'm terrified they'll say that i have to just submit for an mphil or worse quit! eek!! I've written up my two case studies (35k) methodology (1st draft 10k) skeleton lit review ( a garbled 7-10k) any advice or comments of what you think they'll say ??

S

obviously i can't predict what they'll say, but if i were you i'd be really proactive in that meeting. i would make a definite plan of what you intend to write, and what your deadlines are (eg. when the next chapter will be completed, what your final deadline will be etc) to show them that you have it all in hand and have given real thought as to what you plan to achieve. this will show them that you are focused and determined and may help them to decide what to do next! good luck :-)

M

======= Date Modified 05 Nov 2008 14:51:49 =======
I imagine they just want to meet you to ensure you get your PhD submitted in the near future.

Universities seem to be getting more and more stricter about ensuring students complete their PhDs (I think this is because PhD completion rates are now being published).

As Smoobles says go in with a plan and tell them what you intend to do and when.

R

======= Date Modified 05 Nov 2008 15:18:52 =======
I'd agree with Smoobles. I had a long period off for illness a while back, and on my return for my first meeting I wrote about 6 pages on the state of my thesis at that point - a mini-overview of the whole thing. I did an outline of all the chapters, with a few paragraphs about each one. I included what the main focus for each chapter was, how much of the actual research was complete and what was still outstanding. I also did a revised introduction with research questions, and a summary of what the conclusions were. I did attempt to work out approximate timescales for what needed to be done up to completion and a timetable, though that got changed when we discussed it between us at a later date. Maybe if you do something like that, or even send it in with the other chapters, it'll show that you know what the problems are with your written work but know what the thesis as a whole should look like.

Even if you turn up at the meeting with your document and it's not discussed, at least it will have helped you sort out where you are in your own mind, and show that you're on the case with it. For me, it helped get me back into the whole thing and showed my supervisors that I was really keen to get on with it, but was also aware of how much work was still to be done. Good luck! (up)

T

I guess if they want you to hand everything in then you have to. But similar to other suggestions, I'd write a summary report and stick that on the front. Because from a load of garbled material they might not be able to see exactly where you're heading. Fleshing out your thesis outline with paragraphs under each section might help?