Eligibility for PhD application

M

To introduce myself..m a postgrad student on d verge of finishin my masters and on a lookout for a PhD.
Now the biggest issue in my case is that each and every PhD programme has an eligibility criteria of ATLEAST a 2:1 in the FIRST degree...and my Hons degree, unfortunately, is a 2:2...I have most definately done better in my MSc and have quite a good research experience from my masters project but the very fact that i just dont stand eligible to apply for any programme makes all this useless. I do still apply for evry PhD programme with a hope that one day I will be noticed...though I really dont know how realistic this hope is [am sure they reject my application right away after looking at d BSc marks :( and dont even read it further]...
Does anyone have any knowledge in this field?Do you think i will EVER get selected for a PhD...also m an overseas student.

Any information/suggestion/experience will be appreciated.

G

Overseas EU or non-EU. If its the latter, that will make a difference.

P

Hello!

Well, I have a 2.2 degree and managed to win a PhD CASE studentship, over applicants who had a 2.1/1st degree.

I do however, have relevant research experience, publications and 2 relevant MSc degrees from top unis.

All I can say is that some of us have managed to get onto PhD courses without the minimum criteria of a 2.1. I think I was extremely lucky to get this position, and although I'm capable of this work, I really had to fight for this position. Hopefully when I've finished this PhD, I can put the dissappointing 2.2 behind me (I only just missed the 2.1; but it hasn't stopped me from getting onto courses at top unis and relevant jobs!).

Good luck
x

H

I got an embarrassing 2:ii but went and did a part time MSc to make up for it simply because I wanted to do a PhD. In my experience, for every ten applications you send out, you get looked at seriously for 50% of them and rejected for interview of the remaining 80%.
Keep at it, keep looking. It takes time (months for me) but persistance, like all good PhD work, pays off.
Good luck

L

it's generally either at least a 2i in your first degree OR a 2ii AND a good mark in your masters, eg a distinction

G

I don't think the stumbling block is the grades as much as me_here is not a UK (EU?) citizen. The two together though arguably is a killer.

M

Thanx pineapple for sharing your experience..in my case the only experience i have is through my master's project [which is quite good and my results will even be added for a publication]. Howeevr like golfpro said..even a EU citizenship would have been better...[which I am not]

I am ready to be patient...so will keep applying for PhDs until the day when they are fed up of rejecting me and also in the meannwhile will try and get a job that will give me relevant experience [which is going to be another battle because of the work permit n visa issues!!!]

Anyway...if you have any more helpful suggesions/experiences to share...please go ahead and oblige me

Thnx to all who replied