Emailing your sup

L

How often do you guys (particularly in humanities) email your sups? I have just emailed my sup with some work that I have been doing. We have a meeting scheduled for Thurs but this section has been a chore thus far and i'm not sure if I'm heading in the right direction.

Is it unreasonable to ask him to read 2500 words and give me his general assessment outside of metting time. I would wait til Thurs but a) I travel quite distance to my uni for the meetings and b) I don't wanna sit there and be told what I could be told now.

Am I being a pain?

I think its better to send work beforehand, although whether he/she will read it is a totally different matter. I sent my sup work on thus for a meeting on mon and she told me loads of things to change (most of them I had changed before sending it to her) and then at the end she said 'oh I only skimmed a few pages' - SO WHY TELL ME TO CHANGE STUFF IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT!!!????

L

Quote From sneaks:

I think its better to send work beforehand, although whether he/she will read it is a totally different matter. I sent my sup work on thus for a meeting on mon and she told me loads of things to change (most of them I had changed before sending it to her) and then at the end she said 'oh I only skimmed a few pages' - SO WHY TELL ME TO CHANGE STUFF IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT!!!????

TBH our meetings generally are me sitting there and my sup reading the work I've written and then offering a few comments and maybe a couple of books that might prove useful. I'm sure he will read it and email me back but I just don't want him to say "we'll talk about it on thurs" - I'd rather get some feedback now and work on til next week.

M

I think sups like to keep the comments for meetings to make the meetings longer so they feel like they're doing something. Definitely email in advance and fingers crossed for a reply. My sup always prints things out for commenting so I usually get back lots of illegible red scribbles on my work and we've to spend the meeting deciphering them :)