Emigrating Mid PhD

D

Quote From RLD1984:

but am I supposed to be getting more from them? I suppose I've got nothing to compare them with so don't really know!

It's really an individual thing and only you know. I suppose the questions you need to ask yourself are; 1) Do you get what you need from the meetings? Are you able to walk away and make more progress as a result of the meetings? I wasn't and that's when I realised that although I wanted meetings they were not effective, even though I made lists of what I wanted covered in the meetings. However, some people seem to get a lot through meeting with their supervisor/s and so meetings work for them.

It really depends on your needs and whether or not your supervisor/s works to your agenda or expects you to work to theirs. As far as I can tell from reading the many posts on this forum, supervisors differ greatly in the levels of support they are prepared to provide.

T

Hi again. I am full time. I have Skype meetings with my supervisor and my advisor and these have been very successful I think. The frequency depends on what stage I am at - sometimes monthly but have been weekly when I needed it. I am lucky that my supervisor is very good at keeping in touch and making sure that I don't let things slide and gives me great feedback - both on Skype and in emails. Of course, it would be nicer to meet face-to-face more often but it just isn't possible for me! I usually go back once or twice a year though. I am almost at the end of my second year now (full-time) - although I have actually been studying for longer as I had more than a year off of leave. Yous should also check with your library whether you can get access to journals etc as a long-distance student.

R

======= Date Modified 25 Sep 2011 19:03:54 =======
Delta - I don't know if you have seen yet, but I have started a thread on this topic about supervisions. I guess I'm lucky in a sense that I am fairly forward so would make sure that we work to my preset agenda ;-) but on the other hand I'm very lucky that my supervisors are willing to work this way and not to their own agendas.

Hi again Timefortea - thanks for the info on how you handle your situation. I am going to continue accessing electronic resources from my current university and have contacted the closest university to where we'll be living in Oz to see if I can use their library facilities (this was a main concern of my supervisors). Luckily I can pay a small fee and use their facilities as they open them to the local community! But I'm also hoping to visit my supervisors once or twice a year whilst visiting family and friends back here in the UK.