Employment Opportunites after PhD

J

I work in the food industry and there are several group technical directors who have PhD's (salery 60-70K). The only problem is that these types of positions are limited and need several years of experiance. But it does mean that if you represent the group they you do have more respect by being highly qualified. One person I know only uses his Dr title when arguing with other companies then it is like saying 'I do know what i'm talking about'

S

Adem, if you read my post again at no stage did I say I was in a PhD for the money - quite the opposite in fact. To re-iterate, I gave up a well paid (but soul-destroying) job in the real world so I could make a less well paid but (hopefully) more satisfying career in academia. Pay grades as they are in academia, it will take me 10 years plus in academia to get back to the salary I left behind. I went into this in full knowledge of what would happen. But life's too short for me being miserable and making other people rich, hence the career change. I've never regretted starting my PhD although I do worry whether this gamble will ultimately succeed.

Likewise, the other posts simply reiterate what I said earlier - unless that PhD has specific application in the commercial world (academia-aside), it is considered little better than a graduate degree.

H

I'm gobsmacked how misconstrued my original post has become!!!

What I mean is employment opportunities WITHIN academia, research etc, I really have little to no interest in working in business - why would you want to waste a PhD trying to make other people money???

As for earning potential with a PhD - coming from a poor background, I really have no need or desire to earn 'big money', never have. If you're doing it for money, you're very much in the wrong arena.

CONTINUED

H

CONTINUED

With regard to the teacher training apps (which was for primary teaching), it's a difficult situation, but basically I got the distinct impression that they didn't think I had the right personality or age to do it, and that has left me wondering if and why I should bother to 'chase the dream' by doing teaching assistant jobs etc, when I could easily fail to get a place next year or even longer, and lose more and more of my life to something in the process, and possibly run myself into a nervous breakdown (family history).

I'd rather do something with a guaranteed end point - a PhD certificate.

J

"I'd rather do something with a guaranteed end point - a PhD [...]"

Please don't forget that nothing in life is guaranteed, in particular not the completion of a doctorate. It's not like a BSc where you can enrol and more or less be certain to get the degree.

H

Oh absolutely, but I think it would be fair to say that you get out what you put in, would it not?

I was always very dedicated with my coursework in my BA - done it way before deadline so I could go back to touch it up before handing in, talked with tutors about it, lots of reading before I started, during, and even after. 3 80 mark essays, only only 1 2.2 level essay in my whole 3 year BA.

S

Well then I understand your question less - because a PhD is a requirement rather than an optional extra for an academic/research job.

If you want to go that route - you should look carefully into funding - because if you need it then your subject area is brutally competitive.

J

Well, it doesn't matter what you did in your BA studies because PhDs are FUNDAMENTALLY different. Even the most dedicated students would probably agree in saying that it is a very tough, bumpy ride. Don't let that put you off, though, you sound like you really want to it so I'm sure you will make it to the end.

H

Smilodon -

How is it less clear?

Basically - Once I have (finger crossed) a Phd, just how much/many opportunities are open to me in academia in the way or research and/or lecturing so that I can actually put food on the table?

H

Thanks jouri, by the way

S

Well it's actually a pretty insecure career option. And as for what is available - the research & lectureship posts in your field which will be failry limited. Competition for academic posts in the arts and humanities is very fierce because funding is poor compared to technical or scientific subjects.