End Note vs One Note

R

Does anyone know how does Mandeley, Jabref etc compare to Zotero? I remember reading a lot about that on here a while back. I did my thesis without using proper referencing software and am trying (really hard!) to get into better habits for my current writing, be organised, less of a messy slob etc, though my heart sinks slightly each time someone mentions a different bit of software. Any extra advice would be welcome! :-)

J

Have signed up for Mendely and spent the afternoon dropping fields into it and then updating them. Looks pretty good.

Thanks for recommending it.

A

Good woman Jepsonclough, I hope it all works well for you! I love it! There are still some minor mistakes and you need to double check refs once you've put them in, but I still think it's the best I've used yet. I've no idea about Zotero though RubyW, maybe someone else has used it?

J

Ok so today I loaded loads of papers (from my datastick) onto Menedely and I thought I would do some more at home on my laptop but the papers aren't there just the references. Do I need to do something different?

A

======= Date Modified 03 Jul 2010 16:22:48 =======
You have to set up an online account through the Mendeley website, the software you download is the Mendeley Desktop software so it organises everything on your hard drive. With the account online if you enable file syncing in Mendeley Desktop then the file will be available to open from Mendeley Web and depending on your browser, may be visible directly in the browser when you click the download link. In Mendeley Desktop, just go to file, synchronise library and enter your login details and you can see all your files on the new computer then. Hope that helps :)

R

EndNote's integration with Word is great, but otherwise i think its a downright pain. I wouldn't touch Endnote unless they've sorted out their horribly broken export filters.

I ended up using Jabref, which has its issues but at least uses a standard file format.

G

I'm using Endnote all the time. I feel good.