Endnote question? confused!

S

No I did it all as I went - and I used Word to reference the Figures and Tables as well. In Word 2007 there is a Tab up top called 'References' you then click 'insert Caption' it'll offer you table or pic and it decides what number it is, all you have to do is put in the table/ Fig title.

I don't have the old office version to hand to check out what it used to be under in that - but it is in there too - However you cannot create PDFs from the older version of Word (I don't think - well not as easily anyway)- In 2007 its just a save as option

S

L

Oh I see, thanks for that ! I haven't installed word 2007, I feel to scared that it will mess up everything, because right now, endnote is attached to my microsoft word which is 2001. I might test it out, once I have backed up everything onto dvds.

i wanted to ask you (sorry Sheena for hijacking your endnote thread).

but at the moment, I have my chapters in seperate word documents, would you recommend for the figure and tables contents to work, to have one big thesis document?

L

hmm on second thoughts, at this late stage, i better stick with my microsoft word version

i will worry about converting it to PDF later on, when i am ready to print, hopefully will get to that stage!

L

but i will definately check out the feature of using word to make figures and tables contents thanks!!

S

This is what I did - one big document - I have no experience of trying to do it as separate dicuments - I'm sure you can do it - start your page numbers sequentially for the chapters and all and there is probably a way to do it with the tables numbers as well.
But for Ease I did it as one doc.

I didn't experience any major problems and my thesis is 340 pages; 80,000 words 90 figures, 50 tables and 400 references. the only thing is that formatting can become a little slow the larger the file becomes i.e. when you update it all etc.

As for converting Office 97-03 to 2007, I never exoereinced any probs and did it in January when I was half way through. You do need to add a plug in for Endnote whichis downloadable (just google how to do it), but apart from that its fine (in my expereience)I would reccomend takes a few days to get used to, but in the end I found it much easier to use.

As always - Backup copies are the Key

Good Luck

S

L

Thanks S! I appreciate it

wow i'm so impressed by the work you have done on your thesis. well done!

i think for now, i will stick with the older version of word, and continue with my seperate word doc for each chapter, and when i have something concrete for each chapter, then will compile it together into one document. right now, i need to write a zero draft of each chapter.
thanks again for your help and advice.

S

I think based on your previous posts and deadlines etc, this might be be best at this stage - Keep it simple

these features are nice and might save you a week or so of formatting at the end but I think you are probably wisest to stay with what is working for you just now

Good Luck

s

S

Thanka a lot to all who joined the post. Esp.sj04-I learned a lot abt using endnote & its hissy fits. Now I've decided to dive in & use it on writing my thesis. but still worried abt using seperate doc's as when putting them together(several ref.lists), it might be a major disaster. Anyone out there who had a go at doing seperate chapters and joined them at the last stage or can't we just keep the chapters seperate even till the end and print it.? Then I guess ref.list is the problem. Am I just a worrier than a doer, maybe..

S

the other option is to have a ref list at the end of each chapter - I've seen a few done like that.

However I imagine that joining them together shouldn't make too much of a problem - you could always test it out in small scale first? I've added pages here and there from other docs before and never had any problems once you format the bibliography.

S

L

Sheena, S's idea about testing it on a small scale sounds like a good idea.

I also at the moment have different word documents for my different chapters. I am just at the zero draft part, and I have seperate endnote reference files aswell, I do whilst I write my introduction for the different chapters, do the references as I go along.

I think S's idea of testing it out on a small scale is a good idea!

I was thinking near the end of completion, i will just copy paste all the different chapters from the different word documents into ONE big thesis document, and then copy paste all the endnote reference files into one BIG reference endnote file. and hope it works! i might test it out though on a mini scale though

S

on that point - i used to have separate endnote files for different projects etc and it just ended up as a pain in the ass - so went with a singular file, much easier

S

sheena, using multiple word documents should not be a problem as long as you use one endnote library only. as soon as you use several endnote libraries, you will almost certainly run into trouble. i have never had endnote problems yet. but i have helped many other people clear their's up. each and every time it happened because they used multiple endnote libraries.

when you join all your word documents into one at the end, it would probably be advisable
a) to have a backup
b) to do it in "unformatted" state. that is when you see those funny {} tags rather than the proper references. to unformat a document, simply press alt-4; then alt-3 to reformat the joined document.

L

Shani, thanks for the advice about not having seperate endnote files, hmmm thanks for telling me that!!! I better start putting all my references into one endnote file for my thesis then, but keep the word documents seperate for now. :) thanks!!

S

there's probabaly a way to import the files from one to another

L

wow thanks Shani, I'm sooo glad you told us about NOT having seperate endnote reference libraries. just tested it out, best to keep all references in one file. word does get confused, even though does manage to find it, but best not risk it.. phew, glad you told us!
i will do just that, have one big endnote reference file for entire thesis.