endnote question

B

How can I change where the brackets go in an cite while you write endnote citation?

For example, by default it will do the following:

blah blah blah (Jones 1985) blah

but I might want:

blah blah blah Jones (1975) blah.

I can't see an option to change it, but if I make the changes manually in word they won't be saved.

Any suggestions?

A

i think you can change it in the edit output option and it should stay saved.

B

yeah, but can it be done differently for different citations. You might say:

...blah blah in reference to this model (Jones 1998) which Smith (2001) believes is superior.

I know it must be simple and i'm missing something, but what? :)

B

By the way, I'm using endnoteweb. I think the answer is that when you need Jones (1975) you simply choose the option to remove the author, then manually type it before the citation.

A

Im not sure how to incorporate two referencing styles into one document....would that not make it difficult to read. My supervisor always insisted that referencing and formatting be consistent throughout the thesis....might be different for different disciplines though.

B

But it's not two referencing styles, it's one.

A

To me Jones (1998) and (Jones 1998) are different styles.

B

No, it's just the Harvard or author/date system. The difference is purely to do with how the sentence is constructed. If you force yourself to stick to only either Jones (1975) or (Jones 1975) you'll restrict the sentence structure.

S

I can't solve this one either - but Endnote seems pretty inflexible to me. In my version, it capitalises the authors, which I don't want but haven't figure out how to change. Not all that helpful really...

B

Quote From Sue2604:

I can't solve this one either - but Endnote seems pretty inflexible to me. In my version, it capitalises the authors, which I don't want but haven't figure out how to change. Not all that helpful really...

Thanks anyway. I've since posted in the endnoteweb forum and got a response. Turns out the only way to do it is like I said - manually type the author, insert the citation, then delete the author. Bit of a hassle, but manageable.