Endnote/Vista problem anyone help?

D

Help help help!!! I updated to vista and at first all was ok. Then when I opened up my documents the field codes have been inserted, I click to remove them and a new version of the document appears that looks fine however when I try to insert a citation it inserts it like this: {Andreassen, 1994 #100} and does not add it to the bibliography.
Anyone out there able to help...I have mailed endnote but am desperate to get on and can't!!!!
cheers xxxxx

when was the last time you updated EndNote? I recommend downloading update patches from the EndNote website.

D

I updated them last week (when I got my nice new shiny laptop
Its sooo frustrating having a quick machine in my comfy living room but having to use my crusty ole comp in my dingy office.
I wonder when Endnote will relese a vista compatable version and if there will be a student upgrade available?
Thanks for replying though makes me know I'm not alone out here in the ether!!
lol D x

S

Hi there,
I believe this is a simple problem with a simple solution!

{Andreassen, 1994 #100} is simply the "unformatted" version of the citation. Now if you press alt-3 (or through the menu go to format bibliography), it will format everything, it will look like it ought to and will also be in the references list at the end. that's all!

hope that works and that you can get on with your work!

D

Ohhh I'm off to try it now....fingers crossed brb x

S

oh, and to avoid the problem in the future:
in word, go to the "cite while you write preferences" and there check the box saying "allow Instant Formatting on new word documents"

then any word document that hasn't been in contact with endnote previously will by default show your citations in "formatted" mode.

any document which HAS previously been in contact with endnote will show the citations in the mode you last had chosen. but you can always easily switch from formatted to unformatted, using the keyboard shortcuts alt-3 (format) and alt-4 (unformat) or the menu if you prefer.

D

No joy I'm afraid the citations remain the same...I wonder if I unformat the documents first then format???? I wish I'd taken computer sciences instead of social ones!!!! Cheers for the idea...any others gratefully received x

K

What version of EndNote do you have? You've prob read this but here's info on Vista compatability:
http://www.endnote.com/envista.asp

S

ummm... I just reread your original post and their is something weird... you wrote that "the field codes were inserted" and you removed them. i think that might be the problem. because, what do you precisely mean by field codes? the field codes MUST be in the document or nothing with endnote will work. you would remove them only at the very end of your work, when you want to create a copy of your text that is just plain "word" and doesn't talk to endnote anymore.
i have a suspicion that you shouldn't have removed the field codes...
why don't you go back to your original document. where 'the field codes have been inserted'. and instead of 'removing the fieldcodes' you rather 'format the bibliography' (again, alt-3 or through the menu, both should work).
and then go tick that box i mentioned in the previous post. good luck!

D

Hi kit Kat I'm running 8.0.2 and think I have installed the patch but lovely hubby has saved it on his stick and will install it tonight just in case humph this is so frustrating. Cheers though xxx

D

Shani...I have learnt more about endnote this afternoon than in my life...your update makes perfect sense (about the field notes)...gotta get the kids tea now then go bell ringing but will try tonight after the kids are in bed....watch this space and big thanks for keeping up with me on this x

S

well good luck with the bell ringing and later with getting endnote working properly again.

i'll be checking the forum for updates and am always glad to help.

D

Bad news and good news...Bad news I broke the stay on my bell (think I stressed and tense...how daft did I feel...I mean you can't just go and buy a new stay off e-bay) but good news....we solved the problem. After you commented about the field codes we googled it and it popped up...it was Word..in options there was a tick box view field codes that was active..unclicked and hey presto. So really happy but it was your pointer that sent us there...so huge thanks for your patience and advice

S

great, glad to hear you managed to solve the problem! sorry about the bell though.

oh, it always feels good to have done something meaningful after a days work. doing PhD stuff often doesn't give me that... PGF is good for that