EngD in Nuclear Engineering

A

Hi everyone, I am currently working as J2EE Developer with an Investment Bank in London, however I always wanted to complete my PhD, and now it seems this true come true, I will be starting my EngD in Nuclear Engineering with British Energy/Dalton Research Institute in Glasgow this Sept. My question is, I am earning around £50k in my current job, what will be my position after I do the EngD, I was told by British Energy (the sponsoring company) that its likely I will be offered a Senior Managment role within British Energy, in general is the EngD better than PhD and.. in specific in Nuclear Engineering..

Thanks
Ali

D

Hi alauoubiy. I was going to post a discussion on the very topic of professional doctorates such as the EngD. I'm in a similar position though I'm considering whether to go for the EdD (doctorate in education) or a PhD. From the reading I've done, the professional doctorates seem to be the best bet if you don't want to work in academia - they are much more practice-based as opposed to the theoretical bias of the PhD. I'm working full time and, looking at the salary for academic positions, I couldn't afford the pay cut.
Academics don't tend to like the professional doctorates as they see them as the poor relative of the PhD. What do others think?

D

You might want to check out this site as well:
http://www.ukcge.ac.uk/report_downloads.html makes for interesting reading

J

there has always been a hatred of phds or anything related by some in the engineering sector. i dont know why. however, the fact that british energy are sponsoring you suggests they are not phd adverse.