Engineering PhD; USA vs Canada

M

Hi everbody,

i am trying to find out what is the difference between earning a PhD in States and Canada. Checking out the related websites of the universities this is what I understood (in below). Please give me also some of your information and your personal opinion about both countries regarding doing a phd...which one is more rewarding if you plan to go to research environment afterward.

thx

USA:

About 2 years of course work
3+- research
written qualifying exam on different topics
opportunity for doing Major and Minor
--------------------------------------------------------------
Canada:

One year of course work (4 grad course)
Presentation of your research proposal at the end of 12 months
Oral exam: some questions during the presentation proposal
2 to 3 years of research
-----------------------------------------------------------------

G

This is primarily a UK based site so you would do better to find the N American equivalent.

M

I cannot comment on engineering directly, but I have been told by a professor that the US PhD is more descriptive in nature, while the Canadian PhD follows the British PhD standard, and involves a 'unique contribution' to the field - thus, is more research intensive.

M

thanks missspacey; I think what you said is true.
but still the question is which one makes you a better and more efficient researcher(getting the job done with less trouble) in your field at the end?

P

I completed my masters in Canada and i would say i didn't meet a single student that finished there PhD in under 4 years. In fact, 4 years was the minimum duration, with the majority of students completing in 4 - 6 years. It's my understanding that grad school in both Canada and the states is consdierably longer than the UK.

Those UK students that only go to 4 years should think themselves lucky, imagine 6 years of this hell .

M

@ picchu_flower, thank you for your information... would you please tell us what was your field specifically? Are u in life science or engineering?

P

I was based in the physics faculty but i had a lot of contact with the engineering faculty.

B

There are also in China for 4 years of the college peroid. When I graduated from University,I work in a manufacture which produce MP4,digital photo frame......!Boring!

chinablueangel