Equal opportunities...Just pretence!

A

I have been reading this thread on and off all day, and have nothing to add that others haven't already said really! just feeling completely outraged that you could actually come on to this academic forum, full of very clever people, capable of highly informed debate, make such a ludicrous and unjustified statement which you seem to have not thought about rationally for more than five minutes and then when the debate gets started and EVERYONE on here tells you the facts you slag them off!!!!

(i'm so angry I can no longer punctuate!!!)

The fact you can even turn around and tell people they can't take criticism when clearly it is you who feels backed against a wall because your post was completely off the mark with no evidence (and completely insulting) clearly indicates that it is YOU who cant stand being wrong/criticized etc etc etc!!!! And also shows that you know you are in the wrong, have nothing real to say to back up your theories and are now just lashing out at people who are just trying to debate the issue with you!!!

I don't think there is such a thing as research that only benefits teh UK anyway, that is the point of publication and the science community, conferencing etc!!! why do you think we reference!!?!? any research that is interested in teh UK can probably for some other study somewhere else in the world have sound investigations/knowledge/theories/findings that can be used to benefit other research, AND VICE VERSA!!! also, although a PhD is about the research topic, the main thing is what the student gains from this learning experience, its all about the skills! and thats the point everyone here is trying to drive home to you I think!

Like PhDbug said, this is a community, where people over time make friends! I havent been here too long, but I already feel part of that community, with friendships forming through daily forums, and its very upsetting to see you come on here and treat them this way!!

Either make a decent point or apologise!!! :-s

ahhhhhh, that feels better, been burning up inside of me all day!!

A

ok, i think i still have swear words stuck inside of me!! and its very difficult to have written that post without any (being from Scotland and all!), however I feel the moderator would probably bump me off (actually surprised we haven't heard from them yet - probably so annoyed about this t*sser, they're letting us keep going :) )!!
so here goes: !^&* $^*$ ^£@£ %^%&&* *()*)()+) (&*& ^$$@ @£@£@£ $@^!% &&(*() )££$ !@£$!!!!!

now, thats better!

B

Alpacalover,

Thank you for your post! However, I am unapologetic! That was my opinion and should be respected that way. I've respected yours and by realising that some societies are more imperialistic than others doesn't make me any less clever! No one has ever sat in an exam room or held my hand in my endeavours before and no one will...meaning I am capable.

I finally seal the discussion!

All the best to you guys- Those paying less be at peace and those paying many times higher-soldier on!

Adios!

A

except you didnt respect mine, or anyone elses on here really did you!?

M

Quote From Alpacalover:

except you didnt respect mine, or anyone elses on here really did you!?

Nah, your opinion doesn't count because you are clearly an imperialist.
;-)

Bizarre, truly bizarre...

(Sorry, I'm new, just about to start a PhD. I'll introduce myself properly soon but I've got to go to bed now! :) )

A

haha! everything makes sense now! if only I'd realised this years ago! ;-)

Get a good nights sleep Moonblue, good luck for PhD and we'll see you on here soon!

i'm off to bed too, winds up again though, booooo!

S

Quote From benm:

Stressed,

:p you sound very bitter! Unfortunately, you are not able to stand criticism! It's the same feeling that you are always right! I honestly respect some of the chaps here who've tried to drive very important points rather than show anger!(down)

I'm pretty damned certain that anyone on here that knows me and has known me for over a year will tell you that I'm not remotely bitter, just very angry with a troll - I do agree on that point - an educated person wouldn't carry on with la la I can't hear you - most definately a troll. But I feel very angry about this whole thread, and yes, I am showing my anger, particularly as you suggest I don't respect some of the 'chaps' - many of us on this thread are female but that is beside the point. I FULLY respect everyone on here, I have utmost respect for somebody who, even if I don't personally agree with them makes a valid and compelling argument and debates a point - the only one at odds with the discussion my friend appears to be you - and no, I must confess, I don't respect you.

We are a community of friends who stick by each other through good and bad and for someone to come in and insult my friends, insult myself, and generally start a thread then refuse to debate beyond personal attacks does nothing to earn respect in my book.

B

Quote From phdbug:

ouch bhc... on a purely technical snag for me personally, if they did that, i would have to drop out...but that's a technical snag!

I was being deliberately troll-like. Probably not as funny when written down and taken out of context.

Resolved to stay out, but if indeed we are all getting dragged into this, lets not retaliate with anger or hurt, but see this as a golden opportunity for a glimmer of humour in our otherwise RAE driven academic existence. Its rare we get a laugh, so lets embrace the misguided ramblings.

Quote From benm:

I finally seal the discussion!

All the best to you guys- Those paying less be at peace and those paying many times higher-soldier on!

This is my favourite bit, where after inflaming the community for 5 pages he rather grandiosly decides he is unilaterally "sealing the discussion" with a faux Jerry Springer pondering. Yes sir, with your clumsy closing you have truly claimed the moral and intellectual high ground here!

Is it only me or does anyone else envisage Benm saying "Imperialist!" like the villain on the Princess Bride who keeps saying "Inconceivable" in exactly the same tone of voice. Like a later comment in that movie, I would also say "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ".

Well I'm not getting dragged into it. I refuse to be trolled!

======= Date Modified 25 Sep 2009 08:50:29 =======

Quote From benm:

Sylvester, Do we still have the prestigious "Made in England"...Well times have changed! It's now "Made in China" or atleast made in India. So i bet the exports are as few! and watch this space, they gona get fewer! No offence though.

Well - actually my dad runs a small business where everything is made in England - in fact everything is made in their house - and they export all over the world. And there are many other businesses that are very proud to put 'Made in England' as a sign of quality on their work.

Badhaircut - please can we not use the word troll - I am on another forum where the term is rife and it has now become a situation where anyone who disagrees a teeny tiny bit with someone else gets shouted at = TROLL TROLL lol (altho I do agree in this specific situation lol)

H

You're British and because you do not object to higher fees for international students, you must be an imperialistic pig-dog? Imperialism!? In Britian?! Our politicians haven't gone the spine to think that boldly. Where on earth did this muppet come from?

I need to go and lie down. :p8-)

J

Hmmm, how strange this post is.  I must say that I value other posters opinions, even if they differ to mine, as this offers me a chance to appreciate things on the other side of the fence or add another dimension that hadnt occurred to me before. But unfortunately Benn has chosen not to consider any of your opinions or debate with you your points, but has responded with 'its imperialism' in most of his posts and thats it.  A missed opportunity I fear ;-)

M

I wonder who Benm's favourite imperialist is? I've always thought Caesar is a particularly formidable example - that single-minded and ruthless way he had of welcoming Gauls into Roman schools and then charging them for the use of pencil sharpeners.

P

What I find the most interesting is BenM's steadfast refusal to answer my questions, individual ones or collated... S/he would have had absolutely no grounds on which to brand me racist (s/he hadn't for anyone here, but could resort to your guys' nationalities and similar).

I asked them three times, to respond to me, for then, they wouldnt have been able to hide from the 'content' of the post by unleashing a litany of same-sounding moans. But, no, nothing!

They continued to rave at everyone on here with the same, same, argument. Did it not strike them, that the very fact that another intl student, and one who doesnt even have funding, and struggles every day, is not only perfectly in accordance with the fee structure and does not in any way feel anything except delighted to study here, shows that their arguments (should I say arguments or rants?) are sevrely misplaced or at least worthy of opposition?

I remain amazed.

S

Quote From Hypothesis:

You're British and because you do not object to higher fees for international students, you must be an imperialistic pig-dog?  Imperialism!? In Britian?!  Our politicians haven't gone the spine to think that boldly. Where on earth did this muppet come from?

Hmm, I'm not British and I also do not object to higher fees for international students, although I do think fees can be exorbitant. I wonder if I'm also a pig-dog then? And does that mean imperialism is also rife where I am, in Australia too? But wait, weren't we also victims of British imperialism...? ;-) Maybe now Australia has come of age and we too can be imperialists!!