ESRC Studentship and maternity pay!

B

Hi all,

First off, I just want to point out that this is all retrospective at the moment, I'm not pregnant! However, hubby and I are considering it.

I've read the ESRC guidelines re maternity pay, which state:

"If a student becomes pregnant such that the expected date of confinement will occur during the period of their award, the ESRC will allow up to six months paid maternity leave without the level of their award being reduced"

My funding finishes in Sept 2013. So am I right in thinking that if I were to get pregnant and have a baby before this point, the ESRC would give an additional six months pay, equating to 3 years and 6 months funding? So the paid maternity leave would not count as part of my 3 years full-time PhD funding? I can't really ask my supervisor or anyone at my uni, as I don't really want anyone to know I'm thinking about it yet!

L

Hi Button,

It sounds that way, although is 'paid maternity leave' necessarily equal to the level of your research payments? I imagine so, but it could potentially be less.

Either way, it is good news for you if you are trying. (up)

C

Someone in my lab had ESRC funding, and got pregnant. I'm pretty sure this is how it worked for her. She then took another 6 months off unpaid before coming back to finish her PhD.

B

Thanks both, that's how it looks to me, and I'd also heard about the optional extra six months unpaid leave. Have emailed the ESRC and someone at uni who isn't directly involved with me, so hopefully will get confirmation that that is indeed the case (up)

L

I'm afraid I don't know anything about ESRC studentships (and my studentship definitely doesn't "do" maternity pay) but I wanted to say HOW EXCITING! :-)

B

Quote From lindalou83:

I'm afraid I don't know anything about ESRC studentships (and my studentship definitely doesn't "do" maternity pay) but I wanted to say HOW EXCITING! :-)

Hehe thanks Linda!

Just had confirmation from uni that it would indeed equate to 3 years and 6 months funding, so that's the practical issues out of the way!

L

That's fab news! Folic acid and (sprout) all the way then ;-)