etiquette question

D

I remember this so well - I was based in an office with around 30 other people though, big open plan space and it was atrocious. Hence I used to work from home as it was the only place I could get any work done.

And Paul sounds just like my Dad, he is the noisiest eater I have ever come across!

C

I hate the noise of other people eating, but I consider it my problem not theirs. I used to share with one person who ate really loudly, but I would never have told her (I wouldn't want to offend her plus I'm far too British for saying anything!). I find the more I focus it the louder other people's eating seems and if I'm also eating I don't notice other people as much.

S

I have found my ear plugs!!! (them new ones from my trombone player friend) :-) :-) :-)
I'm putting these in my bag
:-) :-) :-)
love satchi

C

He might soon get the message....."why does Satchi sick her earplugs in just when I get my lunch out?!"

S

catalinbond
oh my you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how can we make this a win-win situation............

M

Just an observation....why don't you all eat together, take 20 minutes out, all eat, maybe discuss research or trivia, then you can all get back to concentrating, and not annoying each other.
:$

S

its a very good idea matilda!
Except we are on different teams...sometimes we have discussions within groups in the same place
Also it would be strange to suddenly propose to eat together......
:-) satchi

A

I totally understand this is a very annoying thing!

Haha DanB - my dad is THE loudest eater i know too - and he also loves talking, never stops, so the conjunction of them both drives is all crazy!

Satchi, could you just listen to music? then you could sit around lunch time and just put some relaxing music on with some big headphones/cans, and maybe do it before he just gets his food out, that way it's not like he'll just see you putting earplugs in when he gets his lunch out?

sympathy, AL

Ah I remember this very well from my office-days. I've been working from home for a while now, but this time flatmate's "I'm bored, why can't you entertain me' sighs from next door and him cooking smelly food bothers me. The thing is, no matter what they do we will be annoyed unless we sort out the underlying issues. No ear plug will stop the problem. In my case, I don't want to have a flatmate but I have to (can no longer afford living on my own etc etc, and I work great when I'm on my own, with another person's existence in the house I put myself in a 'waiting' mode. Waiting for him to stop cooking, waiting for him to leave, waiting for him to go to bed... anything that resembles being alone finally.

In your case Satchi, I might be wrong, but perhaps you're angry with something else? Either the simple fact of having to share the office, or not achieving some of the goals you thought you would by now etc etc. It might even be that something in your colleague's personality clashes with yours.

I'm sure we are more tolerant to people that we like or we don't have any issues with. Things that bother us are usually our own hidden agenda.

I wish you good luck with sorting that out...(up)

S

Oh, I was also getting so annoyed with voices, some people really drive you nuts! and they don't care at all , it is so irritating.
But, to be honest, I was eating in the office too and trying hard not make noises.
Oh I was feeling so embarrassed to eat, but i had to :( I know this might seem pathetic but I was not able to go to go to diners ..etc to eat. Firstly because I didn't have time, and secondly I was alone, and it feels horrible to sit alone!
so may be he also don't have options, may be try to tell him indirectly? tell a friend of yours to ask you not to eat loudly, but make sure he is around and listening?

good luck