Etiquette

K

If you meet somebody at a conference and they've given you some useful advice, or you've found out you have similiar research interests, is it normal to send a quick e-mail afterwards saying, I don't know, thanks and it was nice to meet you? Or will it look like I'm just trying to suck up to them? I am, of course, but would like it to be in a less transparent manner.

Cheers

S

Its a really good idea to do this so that people remember who you are, your work etc. Contacting them really depends on who it was and what kind of interaction you had. If its another student then why not send a message (and/or add them as a friend on facebook depending on what kind of interaction you had).

If its someone more established I tend to find a reason to get in touch. In the past I've sent them things that we talked about (e.g. pre-publication papers) that I thought they might be interested in. Another really good excuse to get in touch is to invite them to give a lecture at your institution, do you have a lecture series in your department? Could you organise a one off lecture? That way they will remember you, and you will possibly get another chance to meet them and show them around or take them for lunch when they visit.

K

Thanks for the advice Siwee. They were established academics - there is something coming up I could possibly ask if they'd like to get involved with, but it's all up in the air at the moment and I'm not sure how long it'll be until I could invite anyone. I think for the moment I will just thank them for their comments - as you say, try and make sure they remember me for the future! I just wanted to check that this was the norm and they won't think I'm being a big creep...I'm very inexperienced at 'networking' (ugh) and have only started to realise how important it is.

S

I totally agree Keep-calm! Networking can be the most cringe-worthy part of the phd. I just try to remember that all those uber-confident suck ups might occasionally be seen as creepy, but they won't lose any sleep over it, and they'll get ahead when I won't

======= Date Modified 18 Jan 2010 13:24:27 =======
I think I my be an uber confident suck up, because I quite enjoy networking; I love my subject so I love talking about it, and I always get to know loads of people at conferences. I just chat to them about the papers and it feels quite natural. I think sending a quick email is fine, especially if they've given you their card, that's almost an invitation, I think. Keep all your contacts and then you can draw on them when you need them, or keep things going by circulating information like other conference alerts and such like. Networking and relationships were essential to my old job, so I think that's why it feels ok to me, plus, if you love your subjects it's just a big chance to chinwag with other people who do too, quite rare in my day to day experience.

I went on a networking course :$ and they said a follow up email is vital. Their other tip was never give anyone a business card without writing something on it e.g. 'we talked about my PhD' - so at the end of the event they remember who it was. my uni won't stretch to business cards for PhDs though so I will have to wait to put that into practice!

K

Thanks guys,

Uber-confident suck-uppery is the way forward! I was plesantly surprised to receive a couple of e-mails saying hello to little old me this morning so it's given me the push to e-mail all the others. This is the kind of thing my sup has been trying to get me to do for ages - my second sup told me last year that I needed to 'put myself out there more'! So I think they'll be pleased.