Examiner's copy of the thesis

G

It has been two months since my viva outcome and I have not received any hint or indication that I will get the examiner's copy of my thesis. I have been given R and R. What does it mean if the examiner's don't return the copy if your thesis? Although, they both had read the electronic version and had carried my original hard bound copy during the viva just for a a show. I had to email them both my original thesis and I guess that is how they must have read it and there might not be much for me to gain from their hard bound copies. I have asked my supervisor on what he thinks and if he can contact them for their copy. Is it okay to have the examiner's copy of the thesis? Is it awkward if they are asked to send me their copy?

M

In my case (R&R) the external only returned the second volume of my thesis (he kept the first one to compare it with submitted thesis number 2, and I was happy with this arrangement). The internal, after I contacted him, returned to me... both volumes of my thesis, and it was a delight to have them. The volumes were marked with handwritten comments on the margin, thus, I knew exactly what I needed to correct.

Of course it took the internal almost 6 months to return the printed thesis to me, and I had to chase him via the supervisor.

A bit of chasing wouldn't hurt in my opinion. Gentle chasing, via the supervisor, works best. Better be polite and professional if you can.

Mara Sp.