Examiners and supervisors

B

I submitted the PhD thesis for examination and it passed. However, I am at the loggerheads with my supervisor. Can a student submit the final corrections to the library for graduation without the supervisor’s approvel?

B

Quote From bomukunyi74:
I submitted the PhD thesis for examination and it passed. However, I am at the loggerheads with my supervisor. Can a student submit the final corrections to the library for graduation without the supervisor’s approvel?

N

depends on the uni. Where I did my PhD ass correction have to be approved by my internal examiner before sending a copy to the library. I didn't send them to my supervisors. THe best way to find out is by checking with you dept or grad students office.

A

Usually corrections are indicated as needing either both examiners approval, or in the case of 'minor minor' corrections, only the internal.

It's rare the supervisor can actively block it, but they may be asked for a signature to indicate they approve the submission. It doesn't mean you can't submit if they don't; but it needs reconciling, worst case being the supervisor effectively states they don't feel the corrections have been done and can't approve the submission, but it still goes ahead (in a way, absolving them of any blame).

I'd try to resolve/understand the supervisor situation, since it might be the case there's a real problem they're trying to alert you on. If it's a more awful case (like they're delaying the submission because they need a warm body to push buttons on a machine for 6 months), I'd still try to resolve it by explaining that financially you can't afford that. If you ultimately can't it's possible to submit without approval from DoS in the vast majority of programmes, but as mentioned be careful before you do as they might be trying to impress upon you a risk of a fail/MPhil.

What are you at loggerheads over?
At my university one of my supervisors has to approve my corrections before they get sent to the examiner reviewing the corrections 9usually internal). I honestly never heard of a supervisor blocking corrections so you should really talk with your students union or graduate department about what exactly is needed. You may find that your second supervisor can approve it if you have one or that a more senior academic could approve it instead.