Experiences with industrial partners - high expectations?

P

Hi, I started my PhD almost a year ago and things seem okay.I am having a huge issue with my industrial partner though. I thought it would be a great opportunity to gain some real experience in my field but instead I feel like I am someone's assistant carrying out exactly what I'm told. I feel like I am stuck in a vicious cycle - i get stressed about the tasks that are put to me and my lack of experience in the field so instead or slowly working away at something and trying to understand it I end up doing a few things badly and missing out the rest. When it comes to making decisions about the direction of my project my industrial partner seems to have a very set idea on what is going happen and due to me stressing out about the tasks i have been set i haven't read enough to be able to question or object to any of the decisions that are made.

P

On top of this I am expected to complete a huge chunk of my PhD by the end of the first year and initially it was to be completed by the end of my first 6 months so I am technically "behind" in their eyes. I know that funding is important to universities and realise we need to produce the goods but its driving me mad. Any advice?

D

I've yet to start mine (this Monday) but I have links with a large pharmaceutical firm who have given me set guidelines, time managment plans etc. I am quite happy with this in my situation as the area of my PhD is reliant on all their previous studies. However, I can understand your situation if all their input seems to be setting restraints on your research.

D

Sorry I can't advise as I've nto started yet but your not alone...and I may be comming back in 6 months to ask you for advice

J

Oh, yes (as Churchill says). I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I don't do my best because I know the industrial partners need my results quickly. I envy those postgrads who have 3 years to develop methods. I really worry about sending out incorrect data, because of my inexperience and the speed at which I have to work.

I've learned that honesty is by far the best policy. Generally people don't mind if you make a mistake or take longer than expected, as long as you keep everyone informed. Sometimes you get good advice too, so it works both ways.

H

Sorry to hear your bad time pero. I'm lucky, my industrial supervisor is fantastic and really supportive. He's always telling me how well I'm doing and how impressed he is. He does have a big say on the direction the project goes but I dont think it's anywhere near as bad as how yours sounds.

Unfortunately they get to have a big say because they are paying you and the end product will have their name on it somewhere.

I think you should arrange for a meeting with the industrial supervisor and let them know how you feel and that the deadlines are too ambitious.

O

Never heard of this quote by Winston Churchill. Where can I find it, Juno?

J

O. Stoll: I was making a (feeble) reference to the Churchill Insurance adverts (with the nodding dog).

H

lol!