External cancelled my viva :(

L

So sorry to hear that Pineapple :-( I am sure it is not the quality of work that is the problem, rather what others have mentioned, that the examiner doesn't have the time to go through your thesis properly and therefore doesn't feel justified in examining you on it.

Hope it doesn't take too long to find another examiner!! Take a break from it all at the moment and don't give up hope :-)

P

Thanks KB and Dunni73.

After the last few days of feeling really very awful (ie confining myself to a dark room since Saturday, not speaking to anyone really-well apart from talking to concerned friends- and bursting into tears every now and again) I'm starting to feel a little better. My ex called me yesterday and wants to see me soon which has given me something to look forward to. At the very least, I intend to open the curtains and actually do something today rather than remaining under my duvet feeling sorry for myself. My dad was asking what's wrong with me yesterday so I must look visually upset- I'm too upset to tell him what has happened, but he will find out soon enough I guess. He signed for the 'recorded delivery' letter so he know' s I've heard some news from my university.

I submitted in October and up until Saturday, I knew that the final end point, at least in terms of examination was really very close. Since finding out the viva date in February, I had something to work towards and I was counting down the days. I have piles of paper round me and I've spent the last few weeks psyching myself up for this examination and thinking about life beyond this PhD. I've also spent a lot of time planning how to discuss how my work relates to my external examiners work- which is now a complete waste of time.

Now, I don't have a date, or an examiner and it just means that this state of limbo continues and it just prolongs the agony. It feels really cruel to tell me this so close to the viva date. To receive this news via an official letter also feels very cold and void of any supportive sentiments from my university. I still have heard nothing from my university- other than the letter that was sent last week.

I really don't think I'll actually make it the viva stage. I know examiners have 3 months to read a thesis, so if I make it to the viva stage, then this PhD could take SIX years to complete. If they do find a suitable replacement, I'll be wondering whether they would cancel it again which will probably screw around with my motivation to continue. There's also the added issue of whether I'll actually pass this in the end or whether they actually decide it's only worthy of an MPhil. I know I keep coming back to the possibility of an MPhil- but it is an issue for me and a recurring thought.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try and do something positive today and start looking for jobs. I received a lovely email from someone advertising a graduate job- ie he's strongly encouraged me to apply for it- which is positive I guess. I may also go for a long walk and get some fresh air.

Sorry to send such a negative post, but I'm feeling a little better today. I just long for the day when this PhD is no longer looming over my head.

Best of luck to those of you about to sit your viva. I'm very envious! Congratulations to those of you who recently passed.

D

I'd absolutely hate to be in your position and know you must be experiencing really horrible feelings. I'm not impressed with how you seem to have been treated and can only admire your attitude.

Please look after yourself and remember you are so much more than your PhD, really you are.

It doesn't seem like it now but this nightmare will end...

P

Thanks Delta- I'll try and take things easy.

On reflection, I have to take some responsibility here. It's my fault for massively exceeding the word limit and ignoring my university regulations on thesis word limits. Partly why I'm not telling my dad because he will 100% say that it's my fault this has happened.

I'm just going to take a break from this PhD and concentrate on trying to get a job and distract myself from this whole process. I'll be ok :)

W

Dear Pineapple, I'm appalled at what has happened to you - it's all horribly wrong on so many levels - and you have my sincere condolences.

Please don't think you've failed - your busy examiner (who should have let you know months ago) failed...

Have you had any feedback from supervisors yet? They must be able to help / have some ideas. If you really wanted that particular external examiner would it be possible to 're-submit' a cut down version? Get a couple of friends to attack it with you and that's 30% gone - it really is doable (a friend and I hacked another friend's Masters from 24k to 14k in about four days - they passed - and there's even more scope for cutting a longer work! I'm happy to take a deek at it, pm me if you'd like). Take care and stay strong. xx

P

Thanks Woof- your message has really touched me, so thanks for your reply.

The letter was sent on the 17/03. I've heard nothing from university :( other than that letter that I received on Saturday. All I know from the letter is that my external refuses to mark it because it's too long. When I submitted, my university said that the viva will probably take place in Feb, then it was moved to mid March as a possibility, then both examiners agreed on the 1st of April as a definite date. Since submitting, you can imagine my nerves were already in shreads wondering when the exam will take place, let alone focusing on preparing for it.

I don't know what my supervisors are doing in finding a new examiner. To be honest, I'm terrified what my supervisors will say which is why I haven't contacted them. I'm desperately trying to stay positive and not think the worst (ie a failed PhD) but I can't help it! I feel very alone and isolated from my university-which is probably my own fault for not contacting them.

I just want to put this thesis behind me and move on. There's only so much I can take, let alone fight for an opportunity to resubmit for a PhD.

C

======= Date Modified 22 Mar 2011 21:55:47 =======
Whatever you are imagining is the worst case scenario and you can't know what anyone is thinking until you call up to find out. Really hope it all works out, but surely you need to call rather than imagine the worst? Also, do your supervisors definitely know about this if it is an impersonal letter from the Uni?

L

Hi Pineapple so sorry to hear about what has happened. I definitely think you should contact your supervisor and try to get the ball rolling for finding another examiner. I'm sure if doesn't reflect on your thesis. Good luck with it all.

C

The sooner you contact your supervisors, the sooner you can get the ball rolling with finding another external and arranging another viva date :-)

You never know, your supervisors might not even know yet that your viva has been cancelled - their letter may be lying in some pigeon hole somewhere and they haven't received it yet....

P

Hello and thanks for your replies.  Well following from this forum, I've made the first step. I've sent them an email to them just saying what happens next. Also pointed out that I feel devastated this has happened so close to the viva and that I feel like I've failed. I know my main supervisor said she would not be around for the actual viva, so there's a possibility she may not have heard this news- I doubt it though.

I'm going to spend the whole day in central London with a friend away from my thesis and away from laptops- before I start bawling my eyes out again. :(

P

======= Date Modified 23 Mar 2011 20:09:24 =======
Heard from my supervisors. They had no idea I received the letter! The letter was supposed to be sent this week as my supervisors wanted to warn me in person before I received the letter. The letter was sent via the registry not from my supervisory team. Their trying to find a replacement asap so I can sit the exam asap.

I'm feeling a little better, but I still feel very deflated, devastated and upset! I'm trying not to think the worst, but I gather the new viva date will probably be around July or August which is just painful!!! :-(

H

I can totally appreciate your frustration but I wouldn't read anything too negative into the situation. I'm sure there are plenty of examiners who are hard pushed to read the theses they agree to examine - maybe this one was just exceptionally busy or used the length as an excuse to step down.

Take your cues from your supervisors - ask them honestly about how this affects your chances, and trust them. Try not to add additional stress to an already stressful experience.

D

I'm so glad you've heard from your supervisors and that they were trying to be sensitive to your needs. Please try to keep your chin up.

D

Hi Pineapple,

This situation is awful and compounded by the registry issuing that letter so soon. I know I can't say much to add to the comments below, but I wanted to 100% echo the sentiments of Woof below - you shouldn't take the blame for this. Any problems in length should have been flagged a long, long time ago!

Hi Pineapple, speaking as an outsider and reading your recent post about the new dates for viva-it doesn't read to me as if they expect you to fail. It seems to suggest that they think you need a reasonable amount of time to reduce your thesis length and they are going to give it to you. Which basically sucks when you look at it from the perspective of being tired and disappointed and 'over it' and just wanting to complete BUT from a different perspective- the one where you have written and researched a great deal and now just have too much data and too many words and need to reduce a bit- well being given a few months to do this is more likely their way of supporting you so that you do complete and hand in this thesis. Hope you feel a bit better soon.