External examiner appointed - don't know whether to change him.

W

A potential external examiner has been approached and agreed to do my viva. This person is a very noteworthy person and I note, with horror, that this person has written very popular books on best practice in research and research methodology. I'm not looking for an easy ride but I'm very nervous, when I do get to my viva, about the idea of this person being my examiner. I'm certain that this person knows everything, probably including all the secrets of the universe and, quite likely, how to my research correctly. I just know that I'm going to end up with major corrections at the least.
If I do pass it will look good I suppose. But, if this person gets out of the wrong side of bed or doesn't like my name, I'll get eaten alive. The only comforting thought I have is that the earth has to rotate over another 200 times before I potentially have to face my doom. Choosing an external examiner involves very tactful decision making and I'm not sure this is the right move. I don't know whether I should upset the apple cart by telling my sup that I think we should go for someone else who may be more agreeable with what I've done.:-(

N

I think that if you are genuinely concerned about the suitability of the examiner, and that its more than nerves, mention it to your supervisor. Obviously your supervisor wants you to pass so he would have chosen someone who he thought would pass you, I think it shows that he thinks a lot of your work to have someone prestigious examining it.

I've had to speak to some scary well known academics before (although not in a viva situation!) and they have always been nicer than I assumed they would be. I think ultimately they want you to pass your viva, try not to let his reputation come before him if that makes sense.

S

Hey Walminski, yes, talk to your sup if you're worried. But I think having someone who's top of your field is really, really good. Ths will give you lots more credibility when going for jobs, it will help with your networking, you'll be building a link with this academic. It will be really good for your career, much better than someone lesser who may be more likely to pass you. Your sup must think your work is good enough to be judged by this person, otherwise they wouldn't go to the trouble of organsing this. And the fact they god-like person has agreed is fantastic! Work towards this, I reckon, it will benefit you.

J

Hey Wally,

I think it's completely normal to feel this way, and chances are, any examiner which is appointed for you , you will find something they are a "genius" in and panic over that. I've been in the same position. I settled on my examiner in my first year, and as soon as she said yes a few weeks ago I've been panicking about the fact that her work is based within a theoretical paradigm I've not used at all in my work. I even had a mini panic attack and considered a complete re-write to include this theorist, just incase; but then realised I was being completely bonkers and I knew the reasons I hadn't gone with this theorist in the first place. It's really good that you're aware of your examiners strong points because it gives you more opportunity to prepare for anything that might come up. Look at it as an opportunity to shine!

If it makes you feel any better - I got my viva date last night and am in a state of complete... well... I don't know. Complete something, and that something is not good... back to the thesis....

B

Quote From jinkim65:

If it makes you feel any better - I got my viva date last night and am in a state of complete... well... I don't know. Complete something, and that something is not good... back to the thesis....

Oh crikey! I don't have mine yet, and I submitted last week. I'm not sure how I'd have coped knowing a viva date before submission! Good luck.

And Wally, don't worry too much. The examiner should take a professional approach, and will look at your thesis on its merits. And there's the internal as well, so it's not all down to the external. But if you have doubts speak to your supervisor. I expect it will be ok.

I had difficulty choosing my external because my topic is so niche that there isn't anyone suitable who wouldn't have had a huge conflict of interest (having supervised a closely related PhD in the past for example). Ended up going with an external who's good for the broader cultural/evidence context, and so hopefully able to judge where my work fits into it. Hoping that was a good choice!

D

It's quite common to worry about your external, but you have to also try and remember they are there to pass you, not to fail you! Your internal examiner should also make sure any procedures are followed so it's usually unlikely you will get torn apart - as long as you are confident in your work and can articulate it, then there won't be any reason to give you major corrections.

Nerves is fine about it; if they are genuinely unsuitable then ask for them to be changed but you could end up going round in circles trying to find someone and just keep picking issues that "person x is an expert in this and will grill me" or "person y is an expert in that and will hate what i've done". But try not to worry about it, they will no doubt have performed many vivas and a viva is much a discussion of likeminded individuals as it as an exam.

And I say this having had completely the opposite and been rather disappointed - I did an interdisciplinary area and my external was someone who I had never heard of and had a very tenuous link to the area; my internal was even worse being someone who didn't even work in any of the interdisciplinary areas. Give me someone who would have challenged me on the interesting parts of my thesis anyday!