faculty funded bursary

M

Does anyone else receive a faculty funded bursary? If so, what do you get paid and have you received a pay increase each year (ieven if its just in line with inflation)?
cheers

M

is really no one funded through their university??????

H

I used to love the moomins when I was little, although I remember a really scarey episode where there was a scary thing that just stood outside the moomin house for ages and wouldnt go away or do anything. It was about 8 years I think, still gives me the creeps.

About your question, I think most people are funded via funding-councils so not sure what you mean by faculty-funded, does that mean the money comes via donations etc?

A

My PhD was funded by University money (rather than research council or grant funds). However, I was employed as a Research Assistant so my situation was slightly different to yours. I would have thought that your bursary would have increased each year (if only in line with inflation). Why not ask someone in the post-grad office at your Uni?

[That Moomin episode sounds terrifying! I saw a horrible episode of Thomas the Tank Engine a while ago (with my 2yr old nephew) about a mean boulder that hung around on a cliff edge waiting for a train to pass underneath and then it would try to crush it! It was most disturbing!! :oO ]

D

Yes it does increase each year just like a research council studentship although the award is not as big.

I remember a terrifying episode of Thundercats when Mumra had tied Tigra to a rack in a tower facing the window so when the sunlight hit him he would fry or something like that. I was about that age as well. But it was a great cartoon. :)

M

thanks. H - my bursary comes out of the faculty budget
I did manage to get in touch with someone who said that I would be getting a increase but not the standard 3% for inflation - whether this means more or less Im not sure although I suspect the latter!! bah.
does anyone remember those weird fingerprint cartoon people (circa late 70's maybe)- i cant remember the name of it.
and mungo (the dinosaur)? he rocked