Failed PhD any ideas?

S

Just to give you some inspiration and hope:

I went to red-brick, Russell group uni for my undergrad and of the 3 best lecturers there (in my opinion) only one had a PhD. It's really not required to be a good lecturer and if they can make it then I'm sure you can.

D

I agree Mac but in my case a Google search shows I did a PhD because my supervisors bands his students names around, even if they don't like it and ask him not to. The university I'm with does not publish failed PhDs which I totally agree with as I suspect many fail a PhD through no fault of their own.

U

======= Date Modified 01 Feb 2012 02:58:53 =======
======= Date Modified 01 Feb 2012 02:54:25 =======
Wow thanks guys for all your constructive comments! Just to give you all a update and to clarify some comments. I was given a MPhil with only very minor corrections, neither of my examiners had much issue with the document just that it wasn't enough data and because of lack of funding, major corrections (i.e. going back into the lab to obtain said data) wasn't a option. I've since picked myself back up and I'm currently applying for jobs, I actually found a research technician position available at UCL. It's low paid and probably far removed from what I was expecting compared to a Post-Doc positions but it's part of a really exciting research group in a field much closer to my own personal interests using techniques I undertook in my MSc and during my teaching responsibilities, which was actually the last time I ever enjoyed anything to do with research. I certainly tick all the boxes they asked for in terms of skills and experience so I just hope they take a chance on me and don't see me as 'damaged goods', I just want to pitch in and enjoy my work so I'm not expecting anything special, just to be part of a nice research group that actually has funding rather than being left on my own in the corner with no money to do anything would make me very happy indeed, even if some of the time it is just scrubbing glasswear :)

I have also kept my teaching role, despite failing my PhD which is a little embarrassed for me but probably more embarrassing for the University and I really need the money. All the academic's who gave me the teaching jobs have been wonderfully supportive so I wouldn't like to let them down anyway.

@Hazyjane. It's funny you mentioned public engagement positions, this was a area that was suggested to me a few times in the past and definitely something I think would get the best out of me. During my PhD I did a few 'side projects' in media work to keep myself happy thought a thoroughly miserable PhD such as proof reading indie films scripts for scientific accuracy and undertook some electives in scientific communication during my MSc.

@Ady. Thank you, it's really nice of you to have remembered my plight! I'm actually okay about the whole thing, to be perfectly honest I hated my PhD throughout and if I'm honest I only took on the PhD because I was frightened I would not be able to find a job post MSc and after a year or so I felt unable to leave as I would have no references and I would have let my supervisor down. One good thing to come out of it is that it's been a reality check for my fellow PhD students many of whom are as unhappy as I was and like me have gone past the stage where they have any chance of rescuing their projects. I popped into my former PhD student office on Monday to thank them all for their support and offer my advice in case some of them wanted to ask me what went wrong, to find at least one colleague typing up his resignation letter. While I'd of rather he was doing great, if I can spare him wasting another year of his life and money then at least that's a positive.

@Mackem_Beefy
Indeed I totally agree. Although I do find it quite comical that the University has a individual who was able to deliver in some cases entire modules worth of information through lectures and take entire practicals to a standard that was highly rated by the external inspectors but yet they couldn't at least find some money to help me gather more data to have a fighting chance of a PhD. I should add that I also began my teaching work with practically zero training. However it's at least a income and I really enjoy it so I'm glad the University is so slack with procedures. I also expect you may be familiar with my University since it's very close to Sunderland University...next city even! ;)