Favouritism

G

I'm a PhD student doing molecular science. I'm a British citizen and graduated from Newcastle. However, I feel that my research colleagues are getting more support from my supervisors and hence getting better results. Recently they were supported for funding to a conference but I wasn't. I am beginning to feel a bit marginalised but don't really want to cause any hassle. Could this be racism, it feels that way?

G

maybe they just don't like you? i.e. you sound like a whinger

G

Favouritism and treating someone better because you like them amount to the same thing. Liking some of your colleagues/students more than others SHOULDN'T mean they are treated differently, but supervisors are only human... In all areas of life you will be faced with favouritism. I know what it is to feel marginalised, and to see many things day to day in my lab and university that seem terribly unfair.

G

Why don't you approach your supervisor about the conference thing first (you have a specific issue there, not something that's just 'in your head') - if you really believe you should have been given the opportunity to go, ask calmly why you didn't get funding. I reckon if they come up with a string of excuses you'll be able to tell, then you can decide what to do next.

G

You seem to be sitting there complaining and blaming everyone else, looking for discrimination. If you approach your supervisors saying 'I want to get better results, can you suggest what to try next' and 'I was disappointed not to go to that conference, what do I need to do to go to the next one' they will be far more inclined to help you than if you sulk and accuse them of racism.

G

Rob, My2cents, why are you giving Rashim such a hard time? You wouldnt want people to think you`re racist ...

G

Thanks for your comments. I'm no different from my colleagues but I just get this vibe. I will put the feelers out and see how things go.

G

To "ControVersial" - take your 2cents and shove 'em

G

To "Rob". Sorry to have upset you, but people come on this forum for help, not to be insulted by people like you. Or maybe I hit a nerve?

G

Hello Rashim
I'm sorry that you are having a tough time. I would suggest that you take positive action. Firstly, try to encourage your supervisor to get more invloved - take active steps to book appointments etc. Secondly, keep a diary and note anything involving discrimination, even if it is small and seems petty. If there is a problem, you need evidence. If you feel that you are being discriminated against, it's a serious issue - you can go and speak to the union rep in confidence. Thirdly, don't listen to small minded morons.
Good luckl!!
Best wishes

G

Rashim: speaking as a Dutchwoman, I've experienced the "glass ceiling" in academia many times BUT I would think that (so early in your training) that this isn't the problem you're seeing. Your Supervisor would not have taken you if he had a problem with your race or sex. Speak to him. It's more likely that he doesn't think you need as much help and seem to be going ok on your own. Book an appointment with him and explain that you need more support in the lab with the work you're doing at the moment. Try the "you genius: me fool" approach; never fails!

S

Couldn't have put it better myself.

K

The trusty raceism card. I doubt this is the case very much. You may come across that you do not need help and others need it more. Did you ask to go to the confrence? I doubt it so stop moaning part of your PhD is becoming proactive and next time one comes up you want to go to fight your corner.