fear of the defense, dissappointed about the thesis

A

Hi there,

I am supposed to hand in my thesis next week, or at the latest a week after that. I did a lab based phd and despite VERY hard work I got data that is difficult to interpret, and I find my arguments very weak. I am very unsatisfied with the end result for my thesis and very angry that I have spent 3 years to produce something of so little value. This makes me wanna quit, I feel my research is not worthy of a PhD title. Getting an extention is not an option. I already landed myself a job in the industry (:D) and I dont have the energy to pursue my PhD anymore. I find myself hiding under my desk and crying, screaming and breaking things...and the only thing that keeps me going is hoping that it will soon be over. Anyway, my question is: HAs anybody else been unsatisfied with the final product of their work. How did you prepare yourself for the defense? I fear that all the weaknesses of my work will be revealed and everything will collapse...

S

I too am due to submit next week, and would have prefered to have better results. It has taken months of long hours and self doubt to get them into a decent story - but hopefully its all defendable now!

At the end of the day you can still pass on negative results - what can you do - you've got what you've got - it'll all be over soon

Its difficult without knowing what your precise problem is - but I would think that as long as you can say - well okay it didn't work this way - but if time and money permitted etc I would have done this - Its not doubt harder to defend bad results than it is with a million peer reviewed journals but you gotta go with what you got.

Its always easy to look back and say 'if I knew what I knew now it would all be different'

Hope you feel better - stick in there - almost done

P

Identify all your week areas and defend them.

I was freaking out and I bought the book 'How to survive your viva'... I found it really, really useful and could reccomend it.

All examiners are going to be different, however..you need to ask yourself - if you *honestly* think your results are weak... are you going to pass your PhD? I mean, I had holes in my research, most people, if not all, do.... but there is a difference between 'holes' and 'total crap'...

Long as you're not in that category, I would try not to stress too much..

S

Oh definitely - I am in a similar position. It's hard to feel enthusiastic when your results are disappoointing. We just have to do as others have said. I will outline why I think it was a valid project in the first place, given the outcome, and part of my thesis will be a proposal for a better project design (which hopefully will become a funding propoal). Relaly, this happens all the time with experimental project. But I know that still makes it tough when it happens to you - I'm pretty frustrated myself trying wade through the tangled mess of my data and produce something meaningful.

A

Thank you all for your replies.

Not everything I did is total crap, but there are holes, and some contradictions. I have two ISI publications, which makes me think I will pass, I am very dissappointed as a major experiment didn't come out well. I have been working on it until yesterday, trying to get things to make sense but nada. I feel very emotional in these last weeks and have a lot of breakdowns which make it harder to concentrate, and every time I have to discuss the findings of this last experiment I get a new breakdown...and then I have to find the strength and energy to keep going, which is only getting harder. A vicious circle.

Anyway, I better stop posting on this forum and try to write a bit on my stupid thesis...

Thanks again... In a perverted way it is nice to see that other people have similar problems.

Smilodon and sjo4 good luck with finishing!

S

you too - sounds like you've got nothing to worry about - everyone wishes experiments turned out better - if it were that easy everyone would do it

C

I think near the end it is common for you to doubt your thesis. You have worked so long and hard on it I suppose you think it can never be perfect.I thin that and I am handing in next week. All you can do is your best. No-one can ask for more and to be fair you are always your own worst critic.

Good luck it will be fine.

A

Thank you, clowning81, good luck to you too. I had a really bad day yesterday and couldn't work at all, but today I feel very focused.
Hopefully it will last. ;)

S

I'm looking forward to hearing how we all feel after submitting next week!! (hopefully)

A

So how is it going for you all that have to hand in very soon? I was pretty productive yesterday but I still didn't meet my self-set target of finishing the last chapter. Today. I have a grant plan of sending the thesis to my supervisors on Monday for their approval. I am super-nervous, as they didn't want to see any drafts, only the final thing (need a nervous smiley here). Anybody actually enjoying the weekend? I already have a long list of plans for what to do after I hand in, you know once my life resembles living again

I hope you are all doing well and typing fast

S

been workin like a dog 6am -10pm for the last few weeks

but just finishing off the intro today, then some brief work in the mothds, corrections in final results chapter and final discussion to finalise - seems like a lot but I think at the very latest friday -

Yesterday I recieved all my paper and photo paper in for printing - how exciting!

Oh! and got my viva date - 27th May woop woop! its gonna be over soon

S

S

Oh and I'm gonna treat myself to some beers tonight if this intro is finished - sweeeeet

mmmmmmm beer

A

Wow, you 've been good!! And an early bird! I am more of the 11am-03am type of person. I am drinking coffee with baileys now...cause I was out of sugar and cream. I think it actually helps my writing. When I was younger, if I was working after 11pm, I would drink a martini and dance a bit, then sit down and work again.
Good times

S

God no - one drink and I ditch the work and take up drinking - gotta be strict

I gave up on sugar in the coffee when I realised I was drinking about 12 cups a day - you get used to it