fed up and stuck

V

I am in my 3rd year and planning to finish in October (when money runs out;). I have written 40 000 words: methodology chapter and two results chapters+ an early draft of the literature review. Not bad but I have got stuck.....absolutely. I hate my PhD, I hate my topic, I found it very very boring and useless...So, anyone experienced something similar? Any good advice how to get going?

C

I am not in your situation but the only advice i can think of right now is that you're in the final lap of your phd, so just keep at it. Its alright to get stuck in but take occassional breaks (non-phd related) to clear your head. After all said and done, you'll reap the benefits.

Best wishes verdy.

V

Thank you, Cryogenics, for your advice and wishes. Currently I am spending most of my time on other things than PhD, what worries me a lot. I have been stuck for around month, took 2 weeks out, and avaioded for for another weeks...

C

You're welcom. I guess you have to address this quickly before it gets too much to handle. I don't know but have you tried speking to your supervisor or indeed other lecturers. I find out that that have a wealth of experience to draw upon which might be just what you need to get you through.

K

I know how you feel Verdy. I'm in my 3rd year too and trying to write up (not as advanced as you though - only have 1 draft chapter) but have no motivation and keep procrastinating and taking breaks. I can't seem to get re-started after Easter and seem to no longer care about PhD & am finding it really boring! Hoping to find some motivation this afternoon!

V

Krashty, hope you will find motivation:) Maybe that is a norma 3rd year stage we are going trough...question, how long it will take;)

I am thinking about contacting my supervisor, as suggested, to have a moan on his shoulder;)

K

Good luck Verdy. Hope your supervisor is sympathetic and has good advice. Had so much energy in my 1st/2nd year. Where's it all gone? Think you're right - it must just be the stage we're at. Hoping we'll get back that PhD loving feeling soon.

C

"she's got that, loving feelin'"

Y

After working continuously on a problem for so many years, I think it's normal to hate the topic.....
I've been working on a side-project for almost 5 months, and I begin to dislike it....no interest and no motivation to finish it off.

V

So, how are you today- unstuck? Motivated? I have started to get going again- little bit of moaning to everyone wanting to listen, reading in this forum that I am not the only one, and unmeaningful activity of sorting my papers in alpfabetic order, seems helped:)

A

Know how you feel, fed up with my PhD. Currently have the anti-rose tinted glasses and convenced that everyone else's PhD's are a lot better. You're not alone, just think about the end result, you'll get there, we all will. All the best, Andy