Fed Up! Looking for PhD...

E

Hey everyone, I just need a rant here! I've just finished my BSc in Biology and I really want to do a PhD in Plant Ecology. This is definately what I want to do, however I feel that no matter how much I apply I'm just not going to be offered a PhD. My degree was very general with not much Botany and I am competing against students with Masters and Botany/Ecology degrees, however I am just not interested in doing a masters. I have done two summers of research experience during college, not including this summer, and I have just recieved a first class honours and the best marks in my class..and still nothing!

Should I take some time out to do some experience? Or should I just go ahead and do the masters?

H

"I feel that no matter how much I apply I'm just not going to be offered a PhD"

Why do you feel like this? Have you contacted prospective supervisors and asked if your background is sufficient? Have you been applying and been rejected - if so, try to find out why you were unsuccessful.

I would have thought a background in general biology was sufficient. A lot of the factual knowledge you need for a PhD you learn on the job, and then spend your time wondering when you're ever going to apply what you learnt in your degree!

S

Yours is a happening field and once decided dont loose hope U'd get one soon.

E

That does reassure me, thanks guys! I have contacted quite a few supervisors but they weren't able to supervise anyone at the moment and I have applied to quite a few PhDs, didn't get two of them, got shortlisted for one and had an interview..(but realized subsequently that thats not what I want to do) and am waiting on another two. I just kind of feel at the moment that I need to do a masters to get a PhD, really don't want to..